Question Backlight on Acer laptop has failed? Screen remains black, even after screen replacement. How to fix?

koodler

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016
I inherited a laptop (Acer 8172T TravelMate) with a cracked screen. The screen was very bright but badly cracked. So I bought the exact same model of screen and replaced it (screen model B116XW02). Now whenever I turn the monitor on, the screen is black.....but a flashlight shining on the screen shows Windows loading as normal, and connecting the laptop to an external monitor works fine. The flashlight test confirms it's a backlight issue (is this correct?).... I have no idea how to repair this problem, and no idea if the backlight is an inherent part of the screen or a part of the laptop itself. Also I don't know why this problem has arisen right after replacing the screen....because when I try the old screen again and connect the cable, it is no longer bright, it has the same dark appearance as the new screen. Is there some cable somewhere that needs to be jiggled around to fix this? Rather than messing around with stuff soldered to the motherboard? The screen connects to the laptop motherboard via a single cable. Thanks for your help

Normally if the screen is working but there is no light the inverter is faulty. A lot of newer laptops have had the inverter built into the screen with LED backlit screens as they require less power.

I would double check the connection to the monitor. If it still isn't working try putting the old one back in. If that one lights up properly then you have a faulty replacement and I would send it back.

Also make sure you verify you get the exact same one. Sometimes they have different revisions, V0, V1 etc, that can make a difference.