[SOLVED] Backplateless CPU Cooler for HP Z2 G4 Tower Workstation i7-8700

Godtreep

Prominent
Jul 30, 2019
I need to upgrade the CPU cooler for an i7-8700 on my HP Z2 G4 Tower Workstation. The HP case has builtin struts for mounting both the Mobo and CPU cooler which can not accommodate any backplate or back mounted screws or else the mobo won't fit back into the IO port openings on the back of my machine. The current stock cooler screws directly through the mobo into the builtin struts. These struts can not be removed without a torch or grinder and are far more stable than any backplate. HP Parts are absurdly expensive and they typically send the wrong part 4 out of 5 times. AIO water coolers are also ruled out because the back of the tower only accommodates a single 92mm case fan. My initial survey suggests the DeepCool Gamaxx 400 Evo might do the trick but I'm concerned about reports of this cooler's unstable mounting system causing excessive vobration & fire hazard. Looking for a list of CPU coolers that screw directly into the case struts through the mobo

Solution
Then shop from HP, those will be the only ones I can guarantee. That or go for a socketless installation, I have seen people do that. A bit fiddly, but it only has to be done once.

LGA115x coolers aren't designed the same way as the larger sockets which is what HP copied here. Very typical for aftermarket coolers, of any significant value, to require a backplate. Push pin style won't work which excludes all of the cheaper coolers.

Those like the Gammaxx 400 or Hyper Evo 212 use a fairly basic mounting bracket that you can just run screws through. Only problem is screw length, can't be too long or short. And washers if the screw can fit through the mounting bracket.

Water cooler might actually work okay, if you can just run some...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Typically when adapting OEM mounts to aftermarket coolers you just need some M3 screws and washers. Mounting pressure is entirely up to how you tighten the screws. You could do something like get posts and spring tension nuts that you find on many water coolers, but then you have to play with lengths to get everything right.

Gammaxx 400 I have successfully strapped to Dell OEM brackets, not too hard and there is no risk of fire that I can think of. Just a fan mounted to hunk of metal. Barring contact with some circuit on the motherboard surface, can't think of what you mean.

Still, just some moderate length M3 machine screws, some washers and using basically everything but the backplate from the Gammaxx 400.

Godtreep

Prominent
Jul 30, 2019
Thanks but I need an answer to my question. I need a list of cpu air coolers I can screw into my machine without any fuss. I have a life to live. Spending it on needless tinkering isn't one of m,y goals in life

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Then shop from HP, those will be the only ones I can guarantee. That or go for a socketless installation, I have seen people do that. A bit fiddly, but it only has to be done once.

LGA115x coolers aren't designed the same way as the larger sockets which is what HP copied here. Very typical for aftermarket coolers, of any significant value, to require a backplate. Push pin style won't work which excludes all of the cheaper coolers.

Those like the Gammaxx 400 or Hyper Evo 212 use a fairly basic mounting bracket that you can just run screws through. Only problem is screw length, can't be too long or short. And washers if the screw can fit through the mounting bracket.

Water cooler might actually work okay, if you can just run some relatively short screws through the bracket without using the included standoffs and backplate. You don't have to mount the radiator up to a fan mount, could just tape it somewhere. As long as it has access to air and a fan strapped to it, it will get the heat into the rest of the chassis. Up to the case fans then. Basically just moving where the cooling takes place.

Beyond that, maybe do a google image search for modifications other people have done?

Solution