Backup a Raid-0

thomassoumpasis

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018
I have a server with 5 sata ports, in the first one there is an ssd with the OS and the rest of the ports have an hdd each. I was wondering if I could run a RAID-0 to two hard drives and then a RAID-1 that would back up both of the hard drives of the RAID-O to a single drive.

Solution
You could do that. You would need drives "4" and "5" to be twice the size of "2" and "3" since the RAID 0 would be twice the size of each drive.

It may not be optimum for backups (better than nothing) because a crypto locker or other nasty infection could get to the RAID1. For maximum security you want disks that you can power off and remove from the physical location or to use some cloud backup also.

kanewolf

Titan
You could do that. You would need drives "4" and "5" to be twice the size of "2" and "3" since the RAID 0 would be twice the size of each drive.

It may not be optimum for backups (better than nothing) because a crypto locker or other nasty infection could get to the RAID1. For maximum security you want disks that you can power off and remove from the physical location or to use some cloud backup also.

Solution