Question Backup - best option?

MousTea

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2017
Hey everybody,

I want to reset my pc because it is getting slow.

I have about 1.950 GB stored data on this pc, both consisting of games and important files.
I'm such a messy person so I throw important files basically everywhere that I don't know where they are,
what is the best option of backup (for if I ever need those files again)?

Thanks!

Assuming you don't have another partition or drive for storing stuff, most of your data will be in C:\Users\[Username]. Look in every folder in there and figure out what you want to keep, or you can just do a blanket copy and paste to some other drive. Keep in mind that there's a hidden folder, C:\Users\[Username]\AppData that also has data like configuration settings for apps or save files for games. If you don't want to go through those folders, you can also do a copy and paste, though skip the Microsoft and Temp folders in there. Then after the reset, just copy and paste them back where you found it.

For games, unless your internet is crap, I suggest not backing them up because can redownload them. Though if you have some you do want to keep around because they're like 50+GB, then you can copy the folder over to an external drive, then copy it back. Most game launchers will require "reinstalling" the game, but they'll realize the game's files are already there, do a check to make sure everything's good to go, and that'll be it.

As for the location of those games, it depends on the game launcher, but if you go to its Settings -> Download option, it should tell you where it's downloading games to.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I personally use Bvckup2 to back up specific directories rather than the whole enchilada. I have a separate full OS drive backup with Macrium once a week.

Problem is, you say you chuck important files everywhere. That leaves you in a position where you basically have to back up the entire drive, which means you have to have a drive that's large enough to back up the entire drive.

Unless, of course, you bite the bullet and sit down and go through all these directories and start organizing your important data better. Messy computers lead to messy consequences.

Reactions: Nigel Spike