Backup drive not working - Need help ASAP!

lutherl

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015
Hey fellow techies:

I'm in a huge rut. Just installed a new Evo 850 into my laptop and it's been working great! I've migrated all of my information via USB drive... except my high school summer assignments. The old hard drive worked perfectly fine and achieved high marks in CrystalDisk (it's only 2 years old anyways), but I just needed the extra speed. I left everything as it was on the old hard drive, but when I tried putting it back in my laptop to move the file, it wouldn't detect the OS. None of the BIOS settings were changed, the hard drive was securely mounted (even reinstalled the caddy) and I cleaned the contacts, but no go. Both storage devices have Windows 7 Installed on them, so it's not a matter of Legacy or UEFI toggles.

Any help is appreciated. The laptop is an HP EliteBook 840 G1

Solution
Sorry for not being able to reply sooner.

Basically is just an option. It's not guaranteed to work, but it's worth the try. However, if the partitions are properly recognized, you should be able to see your files as well.
Hey there, lutherl.

From what I understand you've tried to boot from the HDD, but couldn't? If this is the case, make sure that you've selected it as the first booting option from your BIOS/UEFI settings.
Another option would be to simply boot to Windows by using the SSD, as you've mentioned that it works fine and just access the old HDD as a secondary storage drive. You could also give it a try with a different computer by connecting it either externally (via a SATA to USB adapter, external enclosure or a docking station) or internally via a standard SATA connection, if it's still not recognized by your laptop.
I'd also recommend that you try accessing it via Ubuntu Live USB/DVD, to see if it's properly recognized by that OS, so that you can get to your files.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how it goes.
Boogieman_WD

lutherl

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015

I will try Ubuntu live USB. So Ubuntu will recognize Windows files from a live USB boot? I just want to make sure before I strip apart my laptop to get to the SSD. Thanks