Question Backup for my NAS

Apr 16, 2019
I have a 4 bay Synology NAS with Ironwolf Pros in there, configured with SHR RAID. They are not nearly half full but I just upgraded my camera...

I want to backup this with something that I could plug (let's say USB) and put in another building (don't want to use the cloud). I saw some 4 bay NAS and some 4 bay hard drive "enclosures" like Mediasonic ProBox HF2-SU3S2, that are about 100$ less. Would you get the NAS, the enclosure or something else entirely?

Thanks

kanewolf

Titan
If you have good upload speeds on your internet and a cooperative friend with highspeed internet, you could put a NAS at their house as your off-site backup. Synology has good tools for backup to another synology. For backup, a single bay DS118j might be enough.

USAFRet

Titan
I have a 4 bay Synology NAS with Ironwolf Pros in there, configured with SHR RAID. They are not nearly half full but I just upgraded my camera...

I want to backup this with something that I could plug (let's say USB) and put in another building (don't want to use the cloud). I saw some 4 bay NAS and some 4 bay hard drive "enclosures" like Mediasonic ProBox HF2-SU3S2, that are about 100$ less. Would you get the NAS, the enclosure or something else entirely?

Thanks
I have a 4 bay Qnap, with 4x 4TB Ironwolf drives.
Also, a 4 bay MediaSonic box. 8TB, 3TB, 3TB, 3TB. USB connected to the Qnap.

The Qnap functionality backs up to the 8TB. That 8TB is getting right on the edge of space, so I'll soon have to split that backup and spread it among the 8TB and the 2 3TB drives.

But that is all handled within the Qnap OS functionality.