[SOLVED] Backup on failing hard drive

Nov 9, 2021
My 3TB/7200RPM HDD has been decaying over the years, up to his "spike', where simply opening it on the file explorer slows it down.
About 300GB is unused; powered on hours:11210h; 97 reallocated sectors
I would like to save some of it by copying on my main drive where i keep my OS, but not my recordings or game files. However it is painfully slow, almost impossible.
Is there anything that i can do to try and salvage some of the stuff i need?
Iam currently trying to create a recovery (image) via Veenam, but its also pretty sluggish.
Thanks in advance.

Solution
A full image is a bad idea. It's unlikely on a failing drive you'll be able to do a complete image.

You need to prioritize the files you want. Unfortunately, the only dependable way to recover data is not to lose it in the first place. That's why a vigorous backup plan is a basic part of responsible PC ownership, no different than changing the filter in your furnace or the oil in your car.

It's unclear from the way you describe things (what does "copying on my main drive" mean? from your main drive? to your main drive? what's the setup here?), but if this is the same physical drive that your OS is on, you shouldn't even be running a off of it. It should be a secondary hard drive on another working computer or in an enclosure attached...

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
I would prioritize and move more important files first. I would minimize power cycles and do it as soon as possible.. like right now.
By the way is your 3T 7200 rpm HDD Seagate ST3000DM001 by any chance?
I happen to have 4 of those from 2013-2014 and this model happens to be infamous for high failure (I learned very recently). For some reason my 4 drives are still alive but I only store disposable data to those.

Reactions: mundial

mundial

Reputable
Dec 31, 2017
Everything Pextaxmx said is correct.

Move important files first
Minimise power cycles

Recovering data from Seagate DM series disks is like trying to trying to get a car out of stuck sand. The harder you rev and more difficult it becomes. They are horrible disks to recover from!

Don't try to do anything fancy. With no data recovery tools the best strategy is simply connect the disk to your computer and start transferring the importing files as quickly as possible. Use FastCopy on the host system to assist in transfer. Be patient. Sometimes, the first file you select will take 10 minute before it starts transferring proper. Sometimes, using a USB hub/caddy to transfer can help as opposed to connecting the disk via S-ATA direct to mobo. Avoid repeated power ups at all cost. It only makes the readability worse.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
A full image is a bad idea. It's unlikely on a failing drive you'll be able to do a complete image.

You need to prioritize the files you want. Unfortunately, the only dependable way to recover data is not to lose it in the first place. That's why a vigorous backup plan is a basic part of responsible PC ownership, no different than changing the filter in your furnace or the oil in your car.

It's unclear from the way you describe things (what does "copying on my main drive" mean? from your main drive? to your main drive? what's the setup here?), but if this is the same physical drive that your OS is on, you shouldn't even be running a off of it. It should be a secondary hard drive on another working computer or in an enclosure attached to another working computer.

Solution