Question Backup options

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jtp86

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
Hey, sorry if this question is redundant but I've read a bunch of stuff and just want some clarifications.

I bought a new 2TB HDD and put it in an enclosure. I want to backup my internal 1TB HDD daily or weekly. My 1TB HDD is currently almost 7 years old, so this new HDD backup is primarily for the purpose of swapping it with my 1TB HDD whenever that one stops working. I want a full backup that I can get up and running within 30-60 minutes should my 1TB drive suddenly fail, no reinstalling anything. I also would obviously like to use the extra 1TB for other stuff possibly, but the main reason I have it is for a future main drive replacement (I have a further secondary backup as well).

I was originally going to use Windows Backup to just make a disk image and be done with it, but I'm also looking at cloning. From what I understand, a backup image of the disk can be incrementally updated pretty fast, while a clone would require a re-clone each time I want to back up. But I've also read a cloned drive can simply be swapped out in my computer and I am good to go, while an image requires a boot disc and a few other hassles (which may not be a big deal, just want to understand what I absolutely need).

Basically, my questions are:

1. How much of a hassle is restoring a disk image compared to just plugging in a cloned drive?
  2. Is Windows Backup good enough for my backup? I've seen some freeware and paid programs out there but not sure if its worth it.
  3. How should I approach partitioning the drive in regards to either cloning or disk images? Does it matter with a disk image? Should I partition it in half (two 1TB partitions)?

Thanks.

The drive doesn't have to be off-line for cloning or imaging.
No, but I have found that to be the most reliable, and quickest means of producing a bootable clone target that is indistinguishable, functionally-speaking, from the clone source.

I use this method for all of our machines at home, and secure a hard drive image of each systems boot drive in my safe.

My daughters pull their drives from their desktops and laptops, and do it for me every 2 or 3 months, and I take care of the rest of the machines....geeze....at current count, there are 22 actively used computers in this place.

Southern California Edison must love us.