[SOLVED] Backup or copy data from an Hard Disk which might be failing

Sachin J28

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2015
I have a Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB HDD, I ran some tests on the HDD using Seatools Bootable because my PC had become slow suddenly and was taking a long time to boot up. I ran the following tests on it and got these errors :

SMART Check - "UNABLE TO RUN 0%"
Short Drive Self Test - "FAIL 100%"
Fix All Fast - "FAIL 0%"

So I disconnected it because I read online that the HDD might fail completely if I keep using it and now my pc boots up fast and works fast without any issues but there are a lot of files on the HDD like Personal photos, games, videos, etc and I wanted to know if there is any way to transfer all the data or clone the data onto a new HDD, or at least the unaffected sectors.

Solution
"I read online that the HDD might fail completely"

SeaTools results show conclusively that the drive has already failed, it's too late to consider backing it up, cloning it or copying data off it (nothing to stop you trying though). If the data is precious to you, you can send the drive to a professional data recovery service but be aware that such services don't come cheap.

All this trouble could have easily been avoided if you had backed up the data to another HDD while the Seagate HDD was still healthy.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
I have a Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB HDD, I ran some tests on the HDD using Seatools Bootable because my PC had become slow suddenly and was taking a long time to boot up. I ran the following tests on it and got these errors :

SMART Check - "UNABLE TO RUN 0%"
Short Drive Self Test - "FAIL 100%"
Fix All Fast - "FAIL 0%"

So I disconnected it because I read online that the HDD might fail completely if I keep using it and now my pc boots up fast and works fast without any issues but there are a lot of files on the HDD like Personal photos, games, videos, etc and I wanted to know if there is any way to transfer all the data or clone the data onto a new HDD, or at least the unaffected sectors.

Keep the drive disconnected until you are ready to recover the data. There are a few programs you can try & I'd suggest you try Recuva 1st. It's a great free & powerful recovery program. Make sure you 1st have space avail on a spare SSD/HDD/USB to recover the files to.

Let us know how it goes. :)

SeaTools results show conclusively that the drive has already failed, it's too late to consider backing it up, cloning it or copying data off it (nothing to stop you trying though). If the data is precious to you, you can send the drive to a professional data recovery service but be aware that such services don't come cheap.

All this trouble could have easily been avoided if you had backed up the data to another HDD while the Seagate HDD was still healthy.

Solution

Sachin J28

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2015

Well, I couldn't afford to buy another HDD for making the backup. I had an external HDD but that was also filled up.