[SOLVED] Backup strategy - Replace WHS with NAS or NAS SW on server

YoBub

Honorable
Feb 22, 2014
I need to create a consistent backup strategy for 2-3 computers in our household. I have a Dell server running Windows Home Server 2011, but the most recent windows 10 updates cause compatibility issues, and I'd rather upgrade to more current technology. I'd like to be able to have Windows automatically run scheduled backups, but I would also like to have access to shared folders, so I don't have to keep everything on my laptop (1tb SSD). I use a laptop that I travel with, so it would be a pain to always be connecting an external drive, so I'd prefer something that is networked.

I'm considering just buying a NAS and being done with it, but I have a very large volume of hi-res photos and need a lot of disk space. I haven't fully calculated my storage needs, but let's say it's between 6 and 8 TB right now, and continues to grow.

I've read a bit about installing free NAS software on my existing server, but I want something that is going to work without a lot of hassle.

I use dropbox for work files, but would prefer to have these files local, and I don't want to put personal data on my work dropbox account. I also periodically (once a year) copy everything onto a couple of large external hard drives and put those in a fireproof safe, so I'm not really worried about on-site risks.

I've never set up a NAS system, and I'm not a technical expert, but I am reasonably comfortable attempting to configure, as long as I have something to follow. I don't code.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Solution
but I want something that is going to work without a lot of hassle.

A commercial NAS, hands down.
QNAP or Synology.

I have a QNAP TS-453a.
24/7 ops for almost 4 years. Rock solid.
Currently, 12 drives and ~50TB available drive space.

TS-453a - 8+8+8+480GB SSD (system drive)
TR-004 external - 4+4+4+4TB
MediaSonic xternal - 2+3+3+3TB

I use Macrium Reflect to push nightly or weekly Full/Incremental/Differential images to the NAS.
Automated, hands off.
Retain Images for a month, or as required.

The NAS also backs itself up to a second copy.

USAFRet

Titan
but I want something that is going to work without a lot of hassle.

A commercial NAS, hands down.
QNAP or Synology.

I have a QNAP TS-453a.
24/7 ops for almost 4 years. Rock solid.
Currently, 12 drives and ~50TB available drive space.

TS-453a - 8+8+8+480GB SSD (system drive)
TR-004 external - 4+4+4+4TB
MediaSonic xternal - 2+3+3+3TB

I use Macrium Reflect to push nightly or weekly Full/Incremental/Differential images to the NAS.
Automated, hands off.
Retain Images for a month, or as required.

The NAS also backs itself up to a second copy.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
On that device can you have a combination of internal and external drives? That would let me reuse a lot of my existing storage, and maybe let me go with a 2 bay device instead of 4.
Yes.

4 bay TS-453a
4 bay TR-004 USB external
4 bay MediaSonic USB external

Being also a QNAP product, the OS in the NAS sees the TR-004 as a native space. Managed much like the internal drives in the NAS.