Backup to a remote network

drocks307

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016
Hi everyone,

I have external hard drive that I backup my photos to, but I would like to back them up to another location. I thought it would be handy to back them up up to a hard drive over a wireless connection. I know this is easy to do in my own home, but I travel back and forth to work a lot. So would it be possible to back up my photos to the home network that the hard drive is on when I am away and connected to a different network? If so how would I do this?

Solution
You'd have to create a VPN connection back to your house, and it would make your pc "appear" on the same network, this requires a little bit of networking know-how.
Plenty of home routers offer this (asus routers especially)

If it's a bit much for you, and depending on how much you want to back up, maybe a service like google drive or dropbox might be easier for you to setup?

Faux_Grey

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
You'd have to create a VPN connection back to your house, and it would make your pc "appear" on the same network, this requires a little bit of networking know-how.
Plenty of home routers offer this (asus routers especially)

If it's a bit much for you, and depending on how much you want to back up, maybe a service like google drive or dropbox might be easier for you to setup?

Solution