Question Backup To OneDrive Software? Everything! Best Software?

needspractice

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2013
I contacted Microsoft and they said they do not have software to where you could backup all your files to one drive. I mean you can copy some of your files to your one drive folder and back stuff up. However, it does not do this automatically.

I have around (10) hard drives I want to backup to the cloud with One Drive. What is the best software to do this with?

AOMEI Backupper

I Drive

Easeus

I do not want a Cloud Plan. I just need the software to take my DATA and Transfer it to the cloud in a nice, readable, viewable fashion. I wish there was software that acts just like one drive to where it syncs as files change however, I do not think that exists. I do not want some crappy backup file extension where all my data goes into one big data dump file.

Does this exist?

Can you help?

Recommendations?

I would love to have software to where I can connect my one drive up. Point the folder or drive I want backed up and let it upload for days all of my data to my cloud drive.

Bonus

When a change is my it detects it and backs that file up or replaces it

However, if that is not possible I would simply like to copy my files over to one drive with this software and back up everything to one drive. Am I making sense?

Please help with any recommendations.

Thanks!

needspractice

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2013
I have around 64 TB of DATA I would like to back up on Cloud Storage. I plan to get a 5+/- business accounts with Microsoft in order to get unlimited cloud storage. I don't care that it will takes days/weeks to get all my DATA to the cloud. I just want a good clean backup that I can access. Great Point. I do not want it in an Archive status. That is Crap.

I need an EPIC piece of software that will let me transfer all of my DATA from my computer to one drive perfectly. Whether it be 5TB, 15TB or 64 TB. The sky is the limit.

needspractice

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2013
So far it looks like my best option is to:

Copy about 1TB of data to my onedrive folder at a time.

Then click “free space”

That will remove the data from my hard drive and leave it online with the cloud.

Rinse and repeat until all my data is on the cloud.

I was going to use the “web browser” to simply upload the files from say i.e. my D drive however, the browser is horrible and hangs all the time. Even one a million dollar computer.

needspractice

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2013
I moved this thread to a different section of the forum. Where you posted it, nobody is going to really know how to help you.

Thank You. I am really trying to figure out the best way to backup tons and tons of data to the cloud with great access to it. Not in archive status but a live accessible access.

USAFRet

Titan
Thank You. I am really trying to figure out the best way to backup tons and tons of data to the cloud with great access to it. Not in archive status but a live accessible access.
DropBox/OneDrive is not good for "live accessible access" of a huge data set.

This cloud thing should be your last level backup for disaster recovery, not direct access.

needspractice

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2013
DropBox/OneDrive is not good for "live accessible access" of a huge data set.

This cloud thing should be your last level backup for disaster recovery, not direct access.

I know. Everyone is suggesting NAS, VPS, SMB etc... However, what happens if your house burns down?

USAFRet

Titan
I know. Everyone is suggesting NAS, VPS, SMB etc... However, what happens if your house burns down?
Thats what the next level, the cloud or similar, is for.

General concept of 3-2-1
3 copies, on at least 2 different media, at least 1 offsite or otherwise inaccessible.

I have a reasonably large NAS setup, currently 65TB.
House systems back up to the NAS nightly or weekly, depending on the system and its needs.
NAS contains a second backup of most of the data.

The disaster level (#3 and/or 4) is a drive containing life changing data, in a desk drawer at work. Refreshed and uploaded with new data...whenever I think of it.
That is my "cloud storage".

needspractice

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2013

General concept of 3-2-1
3 copies, on at least 2 different media, at least 1 offsite or otherwise inaccessible.

House systems back up to the NAS nightly or weekly, depending on the system and its needs.

The disaster level (#3 and/or 4) is a drive containing life changing data, in a desk drawer at work. Refreshed and uploaded with new data...whenever I think of it.

Okay, so you don't really have an essential cloud storage option.

You have something like an 8 bay 65TB solution to where all your DATA is.

Lets say one hard drive 8TB has critical pictures, documents, etc. You take one drive and back that up and put it in another location i.e. your cloud solution that is not a cloud solution. So if your house burns down you have your photos, documents, etc.

So really, no cloud solution is needed? I am hearing everything about china spies, privacy invasion, whatever. Cloud Might not be a good idea anyway.

Hmmm.

needspractice

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2013

General concept of 3-2-1

Also I am putting together the idea from everyone that I think the best overall and safest solution is this:

Have two 8 bay storage towers.

Have all your DATA on one of the towers.

Next, put all of your DATA on the second tower.

Take second tower to one of your family houses and leave it there. Now you have all of your DATA backed up in two locations without a monthly fee. The two towers would be a little expensive but worth it. Also, it would be much faster to backup and restore your data in case your house burned down.

USAFRet

Titan
Okay, so you don't really have an essential cloud storage option.

You have something like an 8 bay 65TB solution to where all your DATA is.

Lets say one hard drive 8TB has critical pictures, documents, etc. You take one drive and back that up and put it in another location i.e. your cloud solution that is not a cloud solution. So if your house burns down you have your photos, documents, etc.

So really, no cloud solution is needed? I am hearing everything about china spies, privacy invasion, whatever. Cloud Might not be a good idea anyway.

Hmmm.
Most data lives on the PCs.
That is backed up via Macrium Reflect, nightly or weekly.

The movie and music libs live on the NAS. As well as long term storage of photos/CAD/video projects.
That is backed up to a second volume connected to the NAS.

If my PC were to die right now, taking any or all drives in it, I could recover 100% from the NAS.
If the house burns down, taking the PCs and NAS with it, my music lib is pretty far down my list of things to worry about.

Anything really critical is also on that drive that currently sits in a desk drawer at work.

Scans of passports, deed to the house, pics of my kids and grandkids, Images of the various C drives.....those are critical and not replaceable.

The main thing is defense in depth. More than one copy.
The OneDrive/DropBox 'cloud' is not much different than a storage device at my workplace, or my brothers house, or anywhere else offsite.

USAFRet

Titan
And I have had to recover from a dead drive.
Dec 2018, one of my SSDs died suddenly, the main drive for photo work.
960GB SanDisk, 605GB data on it.

Absolutely dead, nothing I did would make it appear.
Dead.

Slot in a new drive, click click in Macrium Reflect. All 605GB recovered from the backup image on the NAS, in about 90 mins.
Exactly as it was at 4AM that morning when it ran its nightly Incremental image.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
OneDrive's really not good for this kind of thing.

Everyone's optimal solution is going to differ depending on their needs.

Personally, I have two main rigs (my main workhorse/gaming rig and one for very specific work functions) in my basement office. Every morning at 7 AM, all my data files are automatically incrementally updated (only changed files are sent) to a Windows rig in my server room (i.e. my laundry room). Except Steam files, which are updated weekly. My three laptops also send limited backups to this system.

Untitled.png

That server room PC also backs up things to a dedicated NAS, which also feeds my sound system and Plex devices (and for stuff like my mom being able to use my Plex from her house to listen to things directly from my NAS). That PC also updates Crashplan in the cloud daily.

Untitled.png

Not all the files; if my house burns down, getting Steam files back isn't a big deal, so it's kind of a waste of bandwidth to keep that updated in the cloud too.

And the most crucial stuff, I update every once in a while on three encrypted flash drives; one in my car, one in my safe deposit box, and one I leave at mom's house.

needspractice

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2013
Most data lives on the PCs.
That is backed up via Macrium Reflect, nightly or weekly.

The movie and music libs live on the NAS. As well as long term storage of photos/CAD/video projects.
That is backed up to a second volume connected to the NAS.

If my PC were to die right now, taking any or all drives in it, I could recover 100% from the NAS.
If the house burns down, taking the PCs and NAS with it, my music lib is pretty far down my list of things to worry about.

Anything really critical is also on that drive that currently sits in a desk drawer at work.

Scans of passports, deed to the house, pics of my kids and grandkids, Images of the various C drives.....those are critical and not replaceable.

The main thing is defense in depth. More than one copy.
The OneDrive/DropBox 'cloud' is not much different than a storage device at my workplace, or my brothers house, or anywhere else offsite.

I see. So I Sense that you don't like cloud storage as well because of privacy concerns. This is a pretty good backup system. However, I would not be okay with losing my music library due to house burning down. Maybe, buy a second NAS 8 bay storage tower and keep it somewhere else safe besides your house?

needspractice

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2013
And I have had to recover from a dead drive.
Dec 2018, one of my SSDs died suddenly, the main drive for photo work.
960GB SanDisk, 605GB data on it.

Absolutely dead, nothing I did would make it appear.
Dead.

Slot in a new drive, click click in Macrium Reflect. All 605GB recovered from the backup image on the NAS, in about 90 mins.
Exactly as it was at 4AM that morning when it ran its nightly Incremental image.

That is good news. I might need to look into a NAS backup for every day stuff like that.

needspractice

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2013
OneDrive's really not good for this kind of thing.

Everyone's optimal solution is going to differ depending on their needs.

Personally, I have two main rigs (my main workhorse/gaming rig and one for very specific work functions) in my basement office. Every morning at 7 AM, all my data files are automatically incrementally updated (only changed files are sent) to a Windows rig in my server room (i.e. my laundry room). Except Steam files, which are updated weekly. My three laptops also send limited backups to this system.

Untitled.png

That server room PC also backs up things to a dedicated NAS, which also feeds my sound system and Plex devices (and for stuff like my mom being able to use my Plex from her house to listen to things directly from my NAS). That PC also updates Crashplan in the cloud daily.

Untitled.png

Not all the files; if my house burns down, getting Steam files back isn't a big deal, so it's kind of a waste of bandwidth to keep that updated in the cloud too.

And the most crucial stuff, I update every once in a while on three encrypted flash drives; one in my car, one in my safe deposit box, and one I leave at mom's house.

What software is that? Looks pretty elaborate. Yeah, that is a great point about critical data, car, safe deposit box and moms. I like it. I need to get all of that done asap.

I think I am leaning towards two towers, one at home via NAS auto back up and one at another location in case the house burns down.

USAFRet

Titan
I see. So I Sense that you don't like cloud storage as well because of privacy concerns. This is a pretty good backup system. However, I would not be okay with losing my music library due to house burning down. Maybe, buy a second NAS 8 bay storage tower and keep it somewhere else safe besides your house?
My current 3TB offiste drive will be replaced by a 14TB, as soon as Toshiba sends me a warranty replacement.

Meaning I can stash a LOT more stuff offsite.

needspractice

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2013
The main things to consider:
  1. Actually doing some sort of backup (kudos to you...far too many don't)
  2. Know what you're backing up
  3. Know how to actually recover

Yeah, I'm sure you remember, I had a close call that literally was recovered by a miracle. I just have a lot of DATA that I want to back up however, I don't want it necessary in an archive format however, I might need to drop that requirement.

USAFRet

Titan
What software is that? Looks pretty elaborate. Yeah, that is a great point about critical data, car, safe deposit box and moms. I like it. I need to get all of that done asap.

I think I am leaning towards two towers, one at home via NAS auto back up and one at another location in case the house burns down.
A commercial NAS like QNAP or Synology has the function to seamlessly mirror between two devices, in separate locations.
One NAS here, one NAS there....

needspractice

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2013
My current 3TB offiste drive will be replaced by a 14TB, as soon as Toshiba sends me a warranty replacement.

Meaning I can stash a LOT more stuff offsite.

That sounds sexy. Yeah. I think I will join everyone with the manual off storage stuff for critical files.

maybe a 10TB something hard drive for everything critcal. maybe a couple of these. one at a family members house, or safety deposit box, one in a closet.

8 bay NAS set up for everything backed up LIVE and running well.

extremely safe and a little bit more expensive. Another 8 bay tower setup with everything backed up and stored at another family location. extreme scenario for if the house burns down.

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah, I'm sure you remember, I had a close call that literally was recovered by a miracle. I just have a lot of DATA that I want to back up however, I don't want it necessary in an archive format however, I might need to drop that requirement.
Macrium Images are not necessarily an 'archive'.
While it is a propretary 'Image' encapsulated in a single file, you can mount that image as a drive letter, and retrieve a single file if needed.

needspractice

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2013
Macrium Images are not necessarily an 'archive'.
While it is a propretary 'Image' encapsulated in a single file, you can mount that image as a drive letter, and retrieve a single file if needed.

wait that is kind of sexy.

So lets say I want to clone a drive of say 8TB to another drive. Stock loaded with music. I clone it live and repeat the backup nightly or once a quarter. Current drives dies, I just mount the clone drive and its like a live drive?

USAFRet

Titan
wait that is kind of sexy.

So lets say I want to clone a drive of say 8TB to another drive. Stock loaded with music. I clone it live and repeat the backup nightly or once a quarter. Current drives dies, I just mount the clone drive and its like a live drive?
Clone and Image are two different things, for different purposes.

Cloning is to replace the current drive with a new one, right now.
Images are for backups.

In my routine, I do a Full drive image, then a series of Incremental images daily.
I could recover the state of the drive at any point it was in the last 30 days.

Also, the Image concept lets you use the rest of the drive space for whatever.

My Images, for all house systems, live in a single folder tree on the NAS.
Each system has a subfolder, and each drive under that is a subfolder.

Can recover any individual drive as needed.
Or mount that Image as a drive letter, and recover something like "I need the copy of my resume before I changed it, last week Tuesday"