Backward Compatibility Coming For Original Xbox Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I cant think of a single Xbox game from 16 years ago I want to play today, yes the graphics were good but none of the games made a lasting effect. Halo is the only thing that came to mind and its on PC

SNES? yes, there were lots of RPG and adventure games

Dreamcast? yes, great non sonic games lost in time

N64? yes, Rare. yes, every game made by that company for N64 was awesome. From Goldeneye which started FPS battles to Conkers Bad fur Day. Too bad Microsoft castrated them!

PS1? Yes. so much great games like Bloody Roar and Metal Gear Solid.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Say what mate
hqdefault.jpg

Goldeneye was great though ;P

hfm

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
My wife is an Elder Scrolls fan, but she started o with Oblivion on 360 (I've been playing since Arena). She's hoping for Morrowind. We have the disc in a drawer somewhere.

Flipzides

Prominent
Jun 12, 2017
Backwards compatibility for Original Xbox games is awesome! I have fond memories playing Morrowind, Jade Empire, Crimson Skies, Psychonauts, KOTOR 1 and 2, Brute Force, Jet Set Radio Future, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Burnout 3, Prince of Persia Sands of Time, Phantom Dust, Fable, and of course Halo 1 & 2. I think I still have some of these disks in a box in the garage.

alextheblue

Distinguished
I've still got all my original XB games. It would be nice if XB1 and later could play them as well as my 360 titles. In the meantime if I want to fire something up my 360 still runs, and it plays the majority of my classic XB titles.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016

Perhaps I can name a few for you :)

Jet Set Radio Future
Gunvalkeryie
Shenmue II
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Otogi
Genma Onimusha
Breakdown
Mechassault
Ninja Gaiden
Conker: Live And Reloaded

This is not to including the aforementioned Crimson Skies and the recent remasters Voodoo Vince and Phantom Dust. I've mentioned all of these titles for their unique concepts, character designs, and gameplay mechanics. Few if any have been emulated or successfully reproduced since then.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

Jet Set Radio Future ( 16 years ago maybe, but not 2017)
Gunvalkeryie (Dreamcast)
Shenmue II (Dreamcast)
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (PC)
Panzer Dragoon Orta (PS2)
Otogi (wasn't interesting)
Genma Onimusha (PC)
Breakdown (no replay value)
MechAssault (decent)
Ninja Gaiden (Tenchu was better)
Conker: Live And Reloaded (A remake of the N64 version....)

Out of all those games only Mechassult was a decent game. All other games had no lasting value or was available on other platforms. For this backward compatibility to work the need Exclusive titles that weren't available on any other platforms

dstarr3

Distinguished

First, not everyone's concerned about replay value. Even if I love a game to bits, I only play it once. A very rare few times have I played a game twice. And it doesn't need to have been an exclusive at the time of release, it just needs to be an exclusive now. No other console on the market right now is going to play Shenmue II. Sounds like an exclusive to me.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016
You're right, exclusive titles are really the only reason for this feature. I'm based in the USA and almost all of the titles mentioned above were released exclusively on the Xbox. We never had a Gunvalkeryie or Shenmue II release for the Dreamcast and AFAIK Panzer Dragoon Orta was Xbox exclusive worldwide.

Tenchu is far more of a stealth game than Ninja Gaiden so I don't think the comparison is really a fair one, and as for Conker: have you seen the prices for the N64 version? Waaaay too expensive for the average gamer wishing to replay it. Having the ability to replay the Xbox version of this game would allow a much broader audience to access it, which is always a good thing.

I am a beloved fan of all these games and have replayed most of them multiple times so I strongly disagree that these titles have no lasting appeal. I'm sure there are many other gamers who would agree with myself :)

seadrive

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
There are several original Xbox games that were ahead of their time...one would be Conker for the original Xbox and there are several others...actually, I would like to see several original Xbox franchises continued for the Xbox One X such as Mech Assault...this console was very advanced for the time and quite impressive...too bad that many people never valued this system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS