[SOLVED] Backwards compatability?

Feb 4, 2021
Hey all,

did a bunch of searching and cant find an answer; i may not be asking correctly and it doesnt help that the last time I built a pc was in 2003, but i want to understand backwards compatibility of i3-i5-i7-i9. I have an i3 now, and might have to upgrade my motherboard (DH61WW) to something newer as it wont accept my GTX1650 (both the 1650 and onboard go dark). Will the i3 work in a 9th or 10th gen board until I can get a processor, too?

I like speed for me and my business tasks, but kid likes power for BeamNG

Thanks

drew

Solution
No.

And that's because of the socket type. For example you currently have an LGA1155 motherboard which is the 2nd generation era of processors. You would have to upgrade to an LGA1200 at the least to get current generation processor support. If you search for the processor you want, read the item information and it will tell you the generation and what socket type it has, and then you can search for a motherboard that will support it.

ZeroDollarBudget

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019
No.

And that's because of the socket type. For example you currently have an LGA1155 motherboard which is the 2nd generation era of processors. You would have to upgrade to an LGA1200 at the least to get current generation processor support. If you search for the processor you want, read the item information and it will tell you the generation and what socket type it has, and then you can search for a motherboard that will support it.

Solution
Feb 4, 2021
Yikes =(

well waiting to hear back about a used board with a nice i7 and 16gb ram. That and the new power supply.

Basically I got this DH61WW with the i3 3220 and 2x 250 GB drives. I took one, threw it in my HP 800 G1 sff and installed wndows 10, then put the 500gb that was in there into the new case to be a slave so I can still have my files, fresh windows install on the remaining 250 gb drive. This gave me a second PC to use in my office (money is tight - lost job last week, building our business to be able to support us) but this very cost effective split/upgrade went to crap when i tried to install my graphics card (1650) which is the only way I can have two monitors which is kind of important. Sucks. Hoping the PS fixes the issue