Bad 6700K chip?

vinootje

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2012
So yesterday i bought a 6700K with a Be Quiet Dark Rock TF, currently i have set both fans at 100% and the cpu is 37~40 degrees idle. isn't this way to hot?

i tryed overclocking but i have no luck like always. even 4.5Ghz 1.35V is not working. Some workers in Prime95 stop working and my cpu gets a very high temp. i tryed to refresh the coolpaste but that did not affect anything. i am using Coolermaster Mastergel Pro. perhaps use the coolpaste delivered with the cooler?

vinootje

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2012

Alright didn''t know that. Coolermaster sended me a sample of the Mastergel pro but i dont have artic silver, should i just use the stock that came with the Be Quiet cooler?

My motherboard is a Z170A Krait X3. Well i find it very strange that my cpu is quiet that hot with a Be Quiet Dark Rock TF with 2 fans both at 100% right?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
vinootje,

What is your ambient temperature?

Which temperature monitoring utility?

Which version of Prime95?

Do NOT run any versions of Prime95 later than 26.6. Here's why:

Core i 2nd through 6th Generation CPU's have AVX (Advanced Vector Extension) instruction sets. Recent versions of Prime95, such as 28.9, run AVX code on the Floating Point Unit (FPU) math coprocessor, which produces unrealistically high temperatures. The FPU test in the utility AIDA64 shows similar results.

Prime95 v26.6 produces temperatures on 3rd through 6th Generation processors more consistent with 2nd Generation, which also have AVX instructions, but do not suffer from thermal extremes due to having a soldered Integrated Heat Spreader and a significantly larger Die.

Please download Prime95 version 26.6 - http://windows-downloads-center.blogspot.com/2011/04/prime95-266.html

Run only Small FFT’s for 10 minutes.

Use Core Temp to measure your temperatures - http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp

Your Core temperatures will test 10 to 20C lower with v26.6 than with v28.9.

You might want to read this Sticky: Intel Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

CT :sol:

vinootje

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2012

well but in BIOS my cpu is ideling at 40 degrees even with 100% fans and no overclock so just 4Ghz. aint that to hot? for the cooler i have / fan config?

i will give that a shot! so basically i am overvolting my CPU with Prime95 reaching temps that i would never get on these clocks?

Well even with prime95 running for like 10 minutes. MSI Afterburner and HWMonitor says my cpu is currently close to 90 degrees. i tryed to touch the heatpipes of the Be Quiet Dark Rock TF even at the closest point where they meet the baseplate it is anything except hot. it feels like 20-30degrees? so i think here goes it wrong the heat is not getting transfered to the cooler properly. i am sure i did remove the peeloffplastic, well i can try some Artic Silver MX4 but if that not works i am afraid i should pick a different cooler?

scuzzycard

Honorable

It sounds like you didn't get the best overclocker. On the bright side, 1.35V is actually near-stock voltage for your CPU, so you actually do have some headroom. You can safely increase it as high as 1.4V to stabilize your OC at 4.5. I wouldn't go much higher than 1.4, but you should have no problem hitting 4.5 within that parameter.

vinootje

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2012

well the problem is i cant reach anything much higher than stock. at 4GHz i am already hitting 40c idle with max cpu fans. and 90c under prime95 extreme load. personally i think this is way to high because i see people running 20-30c idle with their 4.5ghz oc and here i am max fans 40c idle at 4ghz

well at first i had to much coolpaste for sure, so i tryed this time just a tiny bit, but i t think i went to low but still

first thing i did when i had my components is update everything including the BIOS

scuzzycard

Honorable

I wouldn't get too hung up on temps in Prime 95 - unless finding prime numbers is what you built this PC for.
As long as you're below 80C during actual usage, you're fine. And the only thing idle temps reflect is what level of power management you're running and how hot your room is.

vinootje

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2012
Well guys i might have good news, i went for Artic MX4 and reseated the cooler for the thirth time and now im at Prime 95 maximum power 100% cpu fans just at 70 degrees 4.0Ghz after 4min well i think this is way better than what i have achieved before but is this still high?

scuzzycard

Honorable

That's a great temp!

vinootje

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2012

well i also remounted the cooelr different. perhaps that made it possible that the cooler could be more flush with the CPU, now the heatpipes do heat up and before it was cold.

running atm 4.6 @1.38v