Bad Audio quality after new PC build.

Lemonatwe47

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015
So I get a whole bunch of new components to build a new Windows 10 PC. As follows.

i5 7600 @3.5GHz
Asus Prime Z270-AR motherboard
Evga 750W PSU.
16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 2800mhz RAM

I also have an AMD 380x Which I used in my previous PC build most of which was aging apart from that. Went from Windows 7 to windows 10 with Brand spanking new hard drives without doing an upgrade. Fresh start, clean drives with not much taken over from the previous PC only like photo's and shit everything else I can redownload.

I have the exact same audio drivers as last time too. AMD HD audio and Realtek Audio drivers.

Only now all sounds, when playing games, listening to music or whatever. Just sounds extremely bad. Like kinda Tinny sounding. No idea why.

Same Logitech G230 headset I've used for the past 2 years. Front port, back port it doesn't change. Worked perfectly fine on my old PC.

So yeah if anyone has any idea feel free to share.

Solution
Did you try to go into the sound settings in windows? That could be the problem. When I got my new laptop (still in the box) for some reason the sound setting was not on the proper setting. If this doesn't help try contacting your motherboard manufacturer. Then Microsoft customer support. Hope this helps

Computernut

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017
Did you try to go into the sound settings in windows? That could be the problem. When I got my new laptop (still in the box) for some reason the sound setting was not on the proper setting. If this doesn't help try contacting your motherboard manufacturer. Then Microsoft customer support. Hope this helps

Solution

Computernut

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017
Try the sound settings as I said above first. If that doesn't help try and get a quality sound card for your PC. Don't forget to install the driver when/if you get the sound card or you will not get any sound out of your PC.

Lemonatwe47

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015

The thing is the sound is supposed to be better than the last hardware I had. So it ain't a case of a crap sound chip.

BringerOfTea

Reputable
motherboard audio are more prone to interference and noise... test with another pair of headphones if they sound the same maybe get a dedicated soundcard dont cost that much extra and the quality it can give is very much noticable.

Are you using the default Windows sound card driver or have you downloaded the latest sound driver for your motherboard from the ASUS website? As long as your connecting the headset to the motherboard and not the monitor the AMD drivers are not doing anything, its the motherboard drivers that are important.

Right click on the speaker icon next to the time on windows desktop.
Select playback devices.

Right click on the current default playback device.
select speaker setup, and from the list select the current speaker setup you are using then ok.

Right click again on default playback device select the level slider bar and set it to about 90% volume or output.
You will see an enhancements tab click on that also,select bass boost, and also loudness equalization by ticking the two boxes.

The last tab to click on is Advanced, here is where you will select the quality of the bit rate when playing audio.

Select dvd quality, or studio quality playback at 24 bits rate.

Once you have done all of the changes, checked them or set them.

The sound will be louder, and much more richer with more bass if needed Lemon ok.

Neur0nauT

Admirable

+1

You stated you had windows 7 before, then did a clean install of windows 10 and that you used the same audio drivers used before. Could it be possible you are using audio drivers designed to work with windows 7 and not windows 10? What happens if you download windows 10 audio drivers from Asus?

Lemonatwe47

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015

Well they aren't the same exact version they are the drivers from the motherboard disk. However what you are saying may be true. Even though its a late 2016 motherboard.

Lemonatwe47

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015

Turns out it was some software that came with the motherboard that had funky settings. It overwrote windows settings.