Bad bios flash now card wont work?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

My brothers GTS250 Has alot of heating problems so he want to flash it to a 9800gtx not plus. Anyways is this possible?

Yes, but then that would brake the T&C
So does lying about it. They have the ability to flash the BIOS from scratch not a reflash, the first flash, onto a brand new never used before chip and so they really are the only ones who can help you and you will rarely get help from people if you lie to them and try to pull the wool over their eyes.

deweycd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005

I think your talking about "My name is Earl"

4f3ba4f355d044b79114325.jpg

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
You can't get a role model better than the Fonz, and he definately would have told the truth about flashing the bios on his video card. I think I remember that from the episode where he jumps the shark on water skis ;)

Wolfshadw

Titan
Ok. Back on topic.

You knew the process was risky.
You knew the process violated the Terms and Conditions of the RMA program.
You did it anyway and it failed.

While my personal feeling is to suck it up and buy a new graphics card, I agree with MouseMonkey. It certainly won't hurt to contact ASUS and explain (truthfully) what happened. The worst they can do is say, "No". You *may* get lucky and find someone willing to take pity on you.

However, working in retail, I know companies will spend millions of dollars to protect against billions of dollars in product loss (and yes, that's billions with a "B"). If I were ASUS, I'd probably have my tech support team trolling top tech forums like this one during their free time for threads just like this. It would be easy enough to flag all RMAs of GTS250s purchased in Australia in the last few weeks for BIOS testing.

Just my two cents.

-Wolf sends

notty22

Distinguished
This is one area where I have not personally experimented in.
Gpu bios flashing.
Does anyone know if you can be on your IGP and flash a card in the pci-e slot ?

I know there is even a windows nvidia bios flashing program, talked about in this thread. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1551820
The op might want to do some reading and see if that proggie , whether in a usb boot drive or maybe in windows can see and flash the pci-e slot.
There are websites that have countless stock gpu bios databases for him to use.

G

YAY, I just back from the shop that made my computer, told them the problem (the lie) and then they said "We will check if its a faulty graphics card. If so we will replace it for you" so i asked "Are you guys gunna RMA it if its faulty?" and they said "we will replace it from our shop" So i guess im in luck because they probally wont find that its been flashed

G

I sure am. But i have to wait till tommorow so i can get my graphics cards results lol, Which is great. because if i had rma'd. It would take days.

Yes, i'm curious whether the shop will find out or not that the BIOS is faulty...
Let's hope they'll give you a replacement card...

Next time, don't do any risky thing that you don't understand at all.
You should RMA the card at the first time when that GTS250 is overheating...

G

Im in Victoria in Aus. Alot of computer part shops there over 100 but in the city i live in Melbourne there only like 10 companys but like 50 branches

G

This person at school i was speaking to said he wanted a new card and had no cash so he overvolted his gpu on purpose to get it to burn and he got a gts 250 in return.

Status
Not open for further replies.