Bad bios flash now card wont work?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

My brothers GTS250 Has alot of heating problems so he want to flash it to a 9800gtx not plus. Anyways is this possible?

notty22

Distinguished
This person at school i was speaking to said he wanted a new card and had no cash so he overvolted his gpu on purpose to get it to burn and he got a gts 250 in return.
I hope you don't find anything intelligent in that.

Do you have the ability to change out your own graphics card ?
I ask because You just had this computer built, for some reason you flash the bios, and you physically have to lug the whole box back to the shop, lie, so they will fix it. You know they will have to change out the card to do this.
Now your bringing up burning cards so as to gamble you will get a magic upgrade ?

G

I dont plan to do what he did. Im just saying. Anyways I think they might let me choose if they dont have gts 250 in stock. Maybe ill just choose a 9800gtx or something or 5770

G

I wont ever flash a card ever again. Ill just stick with good ol. overclocking anyways
if anyone here is reading this. Never flash a card without experience.

AFAIK alot of people get away with just RMA'ing it. And sometimes they give u second hand cards.

Khalid1.

There are two ways to fix the problem of the card not working as mentioned, in another post.

Your first option is if the board has its own onboard graphics port use that to get a picture on your monitor.
If you dont, then hunt around for a PCI graphics card.

What you have to do then is find the origonal bios file the card came with, you can do this by searching online.
Or if you had enough sense use the old bios image you should of backed up.

All you need to do is use the flash software and the bios file, flash it with the correct bios file and program and it will work after a re-boot.

Before you ever do something make sure you know what your doing and how to fix the problem.

deweycd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005

We have been trying to tell Khalid1 this but they don't seem to be listening.

G

That doesnt work if you graphics card is in your computer you cant just use the motherboard internal graphics. It only works if you take out the graphics card. And you need he graphics card to be in your computer to reflash.

G

Back from the shop they gave me a free INNO3D GTS250 1GB, do you recon its safe to overclock it? It has a giant ass cooler.

This is how its looks

51srRNTMr1L.jpg

G

Do you guys recon this cooler is big?

51srRNTMr1L.jpg

To me this is quite giant xD. It has a way bigger cooler than my old asus gts 250

G

Also the bad side is that this card they gave me is a green edition on 675 core and 1620 shader instead of 738 core and 1836 shader. But most GTS250's are Green for some reason.
And Inno3D has more green gts250's

notty22

Distinguished
Why don't you just do some gaming for a while ?
If you want to do some o/c , do some reading and experimentation slowly.
To do it right, you need to get many baseline results and game play feel.
Then you tweak things and see if you made things better or worse.
Then you come back and report your results instead of asking us.

G

Well im running it at gts 250 standard speeds even though its green and its working fine. And temps didnt even change? Am i stupid because i dont overclock ram, for some reason i dont care for overclocking my vram becuase i only run at 1650x1050

Status
Not open for further replies.