Bad Blood between us

Status
Not open for further replies.

westom

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 30, 2009
This has happened in multiple discussions where I (an engineer doing this stuff for 40 years) have had posts removed repeatedly and apparently by one moderator. In this discussion:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2725149/lightening-travel-house.html?xtor=EPR-8809#16548646

Exposed was a popular myth that semiconductors can be destroyed by ten volts. Posted was a URL from a Maxim datasheet that demonstrated robust interface protection up to 15,000 volts. That was posted this morning. Within four hours, that post was apparently deleted by darkbreeze (the person those facts were replies to) at http://www.tomshardware.com/community/profile-1696453.htm .

Please gentlemen. He has done this often this summer when I post datasheet information or numbers from specifications that contradict him. In another discussion, I noted a device costs about $1 per protected appliance. He intentionally distorted what I wrote to deny it. And then cut off my access to that discussion so that I could not identify how he completely misrepresented what was posted.

Please review this moderator's actions since he is apparently using his power to subvert or obstruct technical discussions when he does not agree with facts. And has done this repeatedly.

1) What's your point?

2) Darkbreeze is right.

3) I've had lightning hit my house and randomly trash many appliances and electronics, even those that were protected.

4) I looked at your thread and no posts were deleted (they would show up in red). You might be delusional.

westom

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 30, 2009

The post cited maxim datasheets that showed semiconductors can withstand up to 15,000 volts. That post, in reply to his claim that ten volts can damage semiconductors, was visible one hour after it was posted. And missing four hours later.

The point from someone who did this stuff is that damage results when that completely different device (called a surge proetctor) is used. Protectors adjacent to appliances do not claim to protect from destructive surges. Sometimes can make appliance damage easier.

Routine in facilities that cannot have damage is the solution that makes direct lightning strikes irrelevant. For example, your telco's CO will suffer about 100 surges with each storm. How often is your town without phone service for four days while they replace a $multi-million switching computer? Never? Because they use what homeowners can also install for about $1 per protected appliance. Also necessary to protect 'magic box' plug-in protectors.

If protectors were adjacent to appliances, then those appliances were not protected from destructive surges; were only protected from a completely different type of surge that typically does no damage. Due to superior protection routinely found inside all appliances.

If damage is created by lightning, then the homeowner did not install well proven protection. A solution that has been well proven for over 100 years. And routinely not installed by homeowners who never learned about a less expensive and well proven solution.

Meanwhile, that post demonstrated that ten volts do not (need not) damage semiconductors by even citing a Maxim datasheet. Where is it? If disappeared four hours later.

Westom

Please check back to our PM conversation in May. I invited you to contribute a thread with the arguments for this information and links to evidence, and then to link to it in threads where you feel it is relevant. The arguments and resulting incivility that often result when you put this information in-line are disruptive to the forums whether you are right or wrong (I have no opinion on which is the case), or if each solution is adequate, or if both solutions need to be employed.

Please help us keep the flow of the forum happy and civil while you contribute your experience and expertise. Thank you.

4745454b

Titan
I can see your post history back as far as Aug 10th. I see no deleted posts either. (Yes, I have "like on CSI, follow the evidence.") I have seen you and DB get into it a bit here and there, but nothing that I would call over the top. Same as your "CSI" comment. Your posts telling people to follow the evidence and surges aren't descriptive enough rub me the wrong way. But I didn't remove them nor would I warn you to stop. I get that a jaw ache, toothache, and ear infection are all "headaches", but many of us on this forum are able to figure out what's going on and suggest fixes even though we don't know EXACTLY what type of "surge" happened. If I'm allowed to suggest, you might want to type out your reply, then go back over it and see if it's a sharp as I read it to be. (kinda like how this one is sharp.) Whenever I read your posts I read superiority and smugness. Much like WKnott said about keeping the flow of the forum happy. Not meaning to be rude, but I don't get that from you.

As mods we can see posts that were deleted. Even by other mods or even Senior Mods. It is our way of known and tracking a discussion even if normal users cannot. I will be the 4th mod to say that no post was deleted by anyone and if it was we would be able to see it and by whom it was deleted.

There is no way he would be able to circumvent this.

I just think that you do not like it when other people disagree with you. Many people have posted facts from people who are industry leaders and you still argue with them.

Sorry but I take their word over yours.

And specifically, I have never, ever, removed one single comment made by you or changed your posts in any way. Check the edit logs. You're not only spreading misinformation, now you're lying as well. Unless some other moderator did it, which I HIGHLY doubt.

4745454b

Titan
Same here. I know I saw one he edited, I checked to make sure it was him. But I wasn't looking for edits, so not sure I would have seen a mod edit his posts. I know I didn't see one deleted, though as I said I can only go back to the 10th of this month.

4745454b

Titan
My name is easy if you knew Hex/ascii. ;)

The thing is I/we don't allow people to call others names. We may all come to a conclusion that someone is clueless or doesn't come across as "sober" as you put it. But that doesn't give any of us the right to call him names or make fun of him. Again, I get why you said what you said, but to actually post it is wrong. More so when the person in question is upset already. Do not incite people as well.

You would. And if a mod and he did it would show up if you click it. No one edited or removed anything and the fact that he started to continue his argument in this thread tells me that he is just looking to stir the hornets nest.

I say we close it. No need to further his agenda.

The last thing this thread needs is a contribution form another Moderator but it's clear westom's complaint is getting no nearer to being dealt with to his satifaction.

westom - if you have any problem with Moderator actions, you have recourse to our Community Manager, Joe Pishgar, or his 2IC, Kevin Ng at their e-mail addresses, jpishgar@purch.com and kng@purch.com respectively.

Please take that course insted of disrupting the smooth flow of the Forum. I suggest you post nothing more in any thread until this issue this has been ruled on by Joe or Kevin.

If you have any problems with that, contact me by PM and I will help you with a three day ban to give everyone time to cool down and the proper authorities to adjudicate.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
westom, I will be sending you a PM shortly to discuss your case privately. This thread will subsequently be closed, but you are welcome to open another if the issue continues in the future.

In the meantime, I would like to validate every moderator's statement that no posts were deleted from that thread and no edits were performed on any posts by anybody but the poster themselves. This information is indeed visible to all moderators and is part of the checks and balances in place.

As an aside, one of our recent new policies forbids moderators from actively moderating in threads where they are actively participating. This is done to protect the users from any abuse of power, as well as to protect the moderators from claims of abuse. If anybody feels that a moderator is violating this policy, please direct your case to me via PM or directly by email to the following address: kng@purch.com

Status
Not open for further replies.