[SOLVED] Bad case cooling, how to improve it ?

Dec 15, 2019
Hello guys,

Looking for some advice on cooling since i'm inexperienced !

So basically i have an ATX case, with 4 Arctic F12 fans, two at the rear/top which are exhausts, and the two at the front are intakes.

The setup looks like this: (i can't take pictures right now)

rear front

- - f - - - -
f - c r r - -
g g g g - f
p p - - - -f

legend:
- = not a component
f = fan (arctic f12)
c = cpu cooler (wraith stealth)
r = ram stick
g = gpu (sapphire pulse rx 5700 xt with fans facing downwards)
p = power supply (600w with fan facing the floor)

So the cpu runs at fine temperatures, even with the stock cooler, i guess it gets good cooling. (max 75°C)

However, the gpu temps are not so good, especially the gpu vram which goes above 90°C on load.

I believe this is because the gpu takes almost all the length of the case, blocking hot air between it and the psu, but i might be wrong !

Any suggestions to help me improve airflow in my case ? Thanks in advance :D

Last edited:
Solution
my case has 3 intakes, only 1 exhaust. Its got more air going in that being sucked out, so any dust gets blown out gaps. Yours might be better with 3 to 1 as well.

Worth a try :)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Whoa, that was weird. I had finished typing up my response, went to click 'post', got an error, and this thread completely disappeared for several minutes...

However, the gpu temps are not so good, especially the gpu vram which goes above 90°C on load.
That's actually fine for the Vram. I initially thought that was the gpu core!
What is the gpu core temp?

Here's the gpus vbios specs(check out the thermal limits): https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/212909/sapphire-rx5700xt-8192-190722

That 90C Vram temp is still better than on the reference model:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQJCm7bnOfU&t=232s

Reactions: zoyzoy
Dec 15, 2019
Wow thanks a bunch !

That 90C Vram temp is still better than on the reference model

I agree, but still to me this is a very hot temp, i don't feel too confident running at these temps. Plus, in the video he gets way better temps than i do !

The gpu core temp tops at around 80°C, which feels fair enough, but i feel like it's perfectible with a bit of thinking, so i asked you guys for some assessment :)

The problem is that the vram is always 15-20°C hotter than the gpu chip (plus the vrm temperature goes to about 85°C), so to me this sounds like the airflow doesn't cool the gpu properly, what do you think of this reasoning ?

Would you change anything or do you think the temps are fine ?

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019
2 intakes and probably slightly more than 3 exhaust, negative pressure... you be better off with more intakes.

negative pressure sux dust into cracks in case, defeating purpose of filters on fans.

just a passing comment :)

I might try to take the rear fan and put it next to the psu and under the gpu as an intake, to see if the temps improve, and if that doesn't make the cpu hotter.
Thank you for the suggestion.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I agree, but still to me this is a very hot temp, i don't feel too confident running at these temps. Plus, in the video he gets way better temps than i do !
I'd imagine the difference is being made up by the ambient temps in each room.

The problem is that the vram is always 15-20°C hotter than the gpu chip (plus the vrm temperature goes to about 85°C), so to me this sounds like the airflow doesn't cool the gpu properly, what do you think of this reasoning ?
But that's normal behavior. GDDR6 runs hotter than GDDR5 or GDDR5X.

Would you change anything or do you think the temps are fine ?
IMO, you're fine; still getting better temps than if you had a reference model instead.

Reactions: zoyzoy