bad CPU help

rartist

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
I had a Gigabyte mobo go bad, and now I'm trying to figure out if the CPU has gone with it. I had the mobo RMA'd, it never worked well and eventually it all quit. Gigabyte sent me a replacement mobo; I did some basic bios settings and restarted. The system never came back. Everything powers up but it never boots. No beep or anything, just a blank screen. I'm wondering if the CPU was damaged when the original mobo went and it nuked the new mobo. I pulled the mobo battery for nearly an hour to reset the bios but that had no effect.

I'm thinking of trying to get a donor CPU to see if that does anything, but could that help? The mobo may blow that up.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

Ive seen one... but it was a mobile AMD chip that actually had a problem with the intergrated memory controller.

Ive also seen one of the tech's i used to work with showing off "how good" intel cpu's were and how they would slow themselves down so they wouldnt cook themselves without a HSF... needless to say he left it off for a little too long and smoke started comming off the cpu, and it obviously didnt work after that lol

endyen

Splendid

It is possible. If the mob mosfets shorted out the cpu, putting that chip in a new mobo could short out the new mosfets, setting them up to fry the next cpu. It would be an increadable long shot.
Did you remember to connect the four pin power plug?
Are you sure your psu is okay? It may have lost one of the rails, when the old mobo died.
There are a lot of parts in a computer. If any are not plugged in properly, the computer will not boot.
Try unplugging everything you dont need to get into bios. (dvd, hdd, second stick of ram, add in cards etc)
If still no joy, try for a basic beep. It does require a speaker plugged into the mobo, but no ram or gfx card.

I have a DS3P. With only CPU and HSF installed and power applied (and small speaker), when you boot, you should get a continuous series of long beeps. Silence indicates that one or more of the three (CPU, PSU, or motherboard) are bad.

Iv seen Intels with burn patches on them still work (prescotts), iv had two faulty Intels in two years (P4 3.0/775 and an E4300), aswell as a dead AMD 6000+ right out of the box, aswell as a semperon if i remember correctly - very rare, but it happens.

As for how tough Intels are to AMD's - in deliberate attempts on an old S7 system i managed to overvolt alot of AMD's to death, but the Intels withstood it all and survived, easily (still ran cool) aswell as Cyrix/IBM chips - AMDs are easier to kill.

Just last year i had a 775 board catch on fire (regulation set up the top left of the motherboard) on boot - burnt right through the motherboard, left heat marks on the S775 stock cooler - put the cpu into another motherboard and behold - IT STILL WORKED!

I stand by my "Tough to kill an Intel" stance.

TRENDING THREADS