[SOLVED] Bad CPU temps on DeepCool AK620

SomeGuyonTHW

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
Hi, from online reviews it looks like a good cooler so I got it for my i7 12700 non-K
During different workloads I noticed power goes up to 150-180w which is normal for this cpu, but the temps hit 80s sometimes.
I used the thermal paste that came in the box with the cooler, which seemed like a pretty normal one (in terms of hardness)

Before asking here I tried reinstalling the cooler in case I've done something wrong, I fully read the manual, tightened screws in a better order to apply pressure evenly, I even set a pretty aggressive fan curve in BIOS, no luck. (Running tests with side panel off only gave me three to four degrees reduction, which is mainly because of GPU hot air being eliminated, I think)

I wanted to know if the ak620 is underperforming (given it is something close to a Noctua NH-D15), if it is underperforming, what can I do to improve it?
and if not, I can rest assured that I've done everything right.
so, to summarize, we got something as good as a NH-D15 here, 180w power consumption on the CPU, 80 degrees Celsius🔥

Solution
Hey there,

To start, please list your full pc specs, including PSU.

That cooler is pretty decent, and so should be able to handle the 12700. Although I note here that temps can hit 80's even 90's with certain loads : The Deepcool AK620(Review) KILLED my Noctua! - Mr MuBot this is with a 12700k though, but should be close enough.

Are you sure the orientation of the fan is correct? Not sure what thermal paste comes with that unit, but you could try something like Noctua NT-H2, CM Master Gel Pro to see if there's a difference.
Hey there,

That cooler is pretty decent, and so should be able to handle the 12700. Although I note here that temps can hit 80's even 90's with certain loads : The Deepcool AK620(Review) KILLED my Noctua! - Mr MuBot this is with a 12700k though, but should be close enough.

Are you sure the orientation of the fan is correct? Not sure what thermal paste comes with that unit, but you could try something like Noctua NT-H2, CM Master Gel Pro to see if there's a difference.

Solution

SomeGuyonTHW

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
Hey there,

From what I see in the review article this should be the expected temperature (at least based on TDP alone) thank you. I'll repaste again when I get the chance (cleaning it is painful)

TRENDING THREADS