Question Bad CPU ?

Jan 8, 2022
I’m not sure if this is the correct spot to post this but here it goes. So I’m trying to build a cheap arcade with some spare parts that I had laying around the basement and the only thing I was missing was a CPU. Here are the junky parts that I was going to use:

Motherboard is AsRock H110M-ITX,
CPU: i7 7700k from eBay
RAM: DDR4 Corsair Vengenance 2x8gb 2400mhz,
PSU: Rockfish 700w

long story short assembled all the parts and system wouldn’t POST.

Checked all connections removed and checked cpu pins “none bent or damaged”
reinstalled cpu and still no POST.

When I removed ram from a1 and powered on, the system did post. So I thought cool, probably bad ram. So I installed ram from b1 to a1 and no post. So now I’m getting concerned. Removed the ram from a1 and performed a BIOS update to see if issue is bios related. Installed the ram and no POST. Called a friend with a spare mobo thinking it’s probably a bad ram slot borrowed spare mobo and installed all items same order and no POST. Tried what was working on my mobo and boom system POSTed so I’m like ok this definitely seems like a cpu issue I think.

So next thing I try is to boot Hiron’s boot cd to use the cpu and ram test utility but sadly the system POSTs but then crashes or locks up upon trying to boot the usb drive.

So next thing I do is contact the eBay seller and we exchanged messages regarding the situation. The seller would like me to poll the audience in regards to what I should do next. The seller does not think it’s a CPU issue but for me it seems like a bad memory controller. What do you guys think? Thanks for the help in advance. Some more information the seller did say he had all four channels filled with 8gb Kingston ram and had no prior issues. Also the test mobo is an Asus H170M-plus.

Jan 8, 2022
seems the only definitive test would be to try a new CPU in this motherboard with your existing RAM.
may be difficult to find a generation these days that will work in it though.

contact any local computer shops and see if they would be able to test the components for you.
I guess I’m out of options I called micro center around me and they said they can’t test individual components they can only do a visual but even that would cost a fee. Not really worth the price in my eyes for old recycled parts.

Jan 8, 2022
I guess I’m out of options I called micro center around me and they said they can’t test individual components they can only do a visual but even that would cost a fee. Not really worth the price in my eyes for old recycled parts.
most smaller local shops offer cheaper options but if they would have a 7th gen compatible CPU around would be the question.
That sounds like a better idea I’ll call around tomorrow to see if maybe someone around my area can test a 7th gen. Thanks

Jan 8, 2022
You

Can't update the BIOS on that board without a working PC and requires version 7 for that processor
My apologies I stated earlier that I can get the system to Post with the ram on b1 on the AsRock and b1 b2 on the ASUS. The system won’t post if any ram is installed on a1 on the AsRock and a1 a2 on the ASUS.
I performed the Bios update on the AsRock mobo but it still wont load Hiron’s boot cd. The system just locks up if you try to boot it from the usb drive.