Question Bad Dimm Slot?

Nov 8, 2019
Hi, first post here, i need some help if this is a problem or not, i have an i7-8700K with a Z390 gaming pro carbon and 2 sticks of ram in dual channel, msi recommends to install the first two sticks in A2/B2 First View: https://imgur.com/PoJB8Iu
, thats fine it works flawlessly with no problems at 3200MHZ rated speed for my ram.

Later on I tested to put in A1 slot a single DIMM with XMP enabled and no problems whatsoever, then tested a single stick at every slot with xmp and it boots, but the B1 Slot refuse to go further than 2933Mhz, it is normal or a memory controller issue? im afraid if its related to bent pins, the slot works but refuses to go past 2933 like the others did no problem, im a bit paranoid, i know its a strange question lol. 3 slots can manage 3200MHZ speed, but the other one cannot go past 2933.

thanks

From what I can tell, B1 would be prepping for 2 pieces at dual channel each. That may just be the motherboard's default setting for prepping for the added memory traffic. You could probably just manually set it to 3200, but honestly I wouldn't even be using that slot unless you plan of using 4 sticks of RAM.

Nov 8, 2019
From what I can tell, B1 would be prepping for 2 pieces at dual channel each. That may just be the motherboard's default setting for prepping for the added memory traffic. You could probably just manually set it to 3200, but honestly I wouldn't even be using that slot unless you plan of using 4 sticks of RAM.
My concern about that I was checking yesterday for bent CPU pins, i didnt notice any bent. And a common sympton of bent pins would be slot not detecting your RAM, Dual channel might not work, so I was looking for RAM testing and I noticed that.

My ram usually its placed at the recommended slots(2x8 at A2/B2), but I encountered that strange behavior, it might work with all of 4 sticks placed dual channel each at 3200MHz, the other three slots works just fine (A1,A2,B2, 1 stick per slot tested at 3200Mhz)but the B1 slot tops out at 2933Mhz, I discarded a RAM issue, because its stable. I think if a pin is bent the ressult will be much worse than that.

So im more towards that the CPU memory controller doesnt like that slot go further than 2933Mhz limit, I dont know what to think.
Thanks for the reply

Correct in that a bent pin would cause actual problems, on a memory rate change. The memory controller (which is on the CPU) has nothing to do with this sitution. Its just motherboard design to ensure stability. Like I said, if you manually set the RAM speed (or possibly even enabling XMP) would put your chips back to the speed you are expecting, if you did make the move to 4 RAM sticks.

Reactions: dbarberoc
Nov 8, 2019
So this isnt likely a bent pin, its a normal behavior of the motherboard because im putting it in a non recommended slot to ensure stability? If i go with 4 sticks i would see 3200MHz.
Nothing to worry about?
Thanks that was a very clear response.

Last edited: