Bad evga gtx 1080?

Tacoman9045

Prominent
May 3, 2017
Hey guys, I'm building a gaming rig but I've ran into a problem. I have a evga gtx 1080 SC and every time I play a graphic intensive game or try to run a GPU stress test it crashes the computer. Crashes like someone has pulled the plug and plugged it back in instantly and reboots. I thought this might be a PSU problem so I order a thermatake 850 brand new to replace my brand new evga 650. And still no luck, so I changed my motherboard from a Asus hero ix to a Asus TUF mark 1 " everything is brand new" the problem persists, try buying new ram, team group 4gbx2 2400mhz to PNY 8gbx2 2400mhz and it still is there, unstalled windows reinstalled it, formatted my hard drives, clean uninstalled gpu drivers, I've literally have tried everything. CPU "7700k" passes the intel diagnostic program and ram passes memtest. And gpu and CPU temperatures never go past 70c and there is no overclocking. I've removed all software for tuning. Nothing is working.also updated bios.

Ran CMD /sfc /scannow
And
/chkdsk passed both!

World of Warcraft on ultra does it the most, about 6 times but ghost recon wild lands and Dawn of war 3 it happened once in each. And as soon as I hit gpu stress test on Furmark but can run Heaven maxed out with minimum fps only dipping to 32.9

It seems to be right after loading screens or if I minimize the game and then reopen it as it

Nvidia driver 381.89

Windows 10 64 bit
I7 7700k
Evga gtx 1080 SC
Asus tuf mark 1
Pny 8gbx2 2400mhz
Sandisk 240gb solid state for OS
3tb hhd seahawk 7200rpm
Thermatake 850w psu
S340 elite case

Solution
Try not to get too frustrated. I cannot say for sure what's causing your issue, but I think my earlier theory is more likely the culprit than the CPU voltage. That being said, I have no experience overclocking an i7-7700k. I suggest that you not swap out another component for now because it'll change the conditions of my test. Simply do what I suggested previously and see if the issue is better, worse of the same. In addition, don't forget to take the photos and share the imgur links here.

Tacoman9045

Prominent
May 3, 2017
It dies also when trying The stress test or gaming

it's a evga supernova 120-g1-0650-rx gold plus

Also the thermatake is in my friends computer now running his build which is the same but has 2 ftw2's

Tacoman9045 The fact that your computer is rebooting is a very telling sign. I think the issue is that excess heat is causing one of three components to overheat: (1) CPU, (2) motherboard VRM, or motherboard northbridge/southbridge. Any of these conditions can cause your system to reboot in order to protect itself. Since the CPU never exceeds 70C, it's most likely one of the other two conditions.

How to test:

Open the side of your computer case, and turn the case on it's side. This should result in the motherboard facing the ceiling. Then find a fan in your home (desk or floor standing). Point the fan toward the motherboard while the case is open and the computer is on. Now try to reproduce the problem. Please try this right now and respond back with the result.

Addendum: While you're doing this, could you please tell me if all the case fans are working properly? Also, please take a few photos of the inside your build, upload them to imgur and post a link here. Thanks.

Tacoman9045

Prominent
May 3, 2017
Ok guys, I changed my GPU to a brand new evga gtx 1080 sc and it works like a charm. On my HWmonitor the old one would hover around .650 volts and this one only goes down to .962 volts so the other one was having a power problem

Tacoman9045

Prominent
May 3, 2017
I lied it lasted a lot long I was able to play player unknown battlegrounds for a few hours but one I switch to wow it died right after a loading screen. I will try the North/south bridge test when I get home from work, but could it be my CPU? Maybe not getting enough voltage because it seems to die only at points when turbo boost would kick in. Also when I first got the computer up and running I overclocked the 7700k to 5.26 for one benchmark and it hit 99c for a second or 2 but then I put it back on stock settings. "Never shut off like this until I put the gpu in" I will be putting a new PSU in tonight also. I'm getting desperate haha.

Try not to get too frustrated. I cannot say for sure what's causing your issue, but I think my earlier theory is more likely the culprit than the CPU voltage. That being said, I have no experience overclocking an i7-7700k. I suggest that you not swap out another component for now because it'll change the conditions of my test. Simply do what I suggested previously and see if the issue is better, worse of the same. In addition, don't forget to take the photos and share the imgur links here.

Solution