[SOLVED] Bad Experience HDD-Parts.com

Sep 10, 2021
Upon reading through this board I saw hdd-parts.com being recommended several times.
So I decided to send them my PCB to swap the BIOS IC onto a new PCB.

I filled in the online questionnaire with all the information about my hard drive and PCB and they told me to send the board to them.
Now that I spent $50 on shipping alone to send it to them, they tell me they have troubles finding a donor board. Why couldn't they tell me before shipping based on all the information I gave them? I was speechless.

I asked them how long they think it would take them to find a donor and they have not responded since! They also ignored a follow up several days later. Its been weeks now and they have not responded.
This behaviour is unacceptable and I do not understand why the website is always recommended here.

Solution
I recommend them because 10 years ago they were the only PCB supplier who told the customer that they needed to transfer the ROM from their patient PCB to the new PCB, and they also provided this service at no extra cost. All other suppliers just supplied the PCB and never told the customer that a straight board swap wouldn't work. Some of these suppliers would then try to upsell their own "data recovery" service.
I recommend them because 10 years ago they were the only PCB supplier who told the customer that they needed to transfer the ROM from their patient PCB to the new PCB, and they also provided this service at no extra cost. All other suppliers just supplied the PCB and never told the customer that a straight board swap wouldn't work. Some of these suppliers would then try to upsell their own "data recovery" service.

Solution