[SOLVED] Bad experience with Netgear Orbi, looking for alternative

Jan 3, 2020
I recently purchased a Netgear Orbi RBK50 and set it up yesterday. I had two disconnects already with orbi, had to restart the router once and the second time it came back up after 2 minutes. The auto hand off has not been great as some devices that were supposed to connect to the satellite was still connected to the main router. Devices going between 2.4ghz and 5ghz has been good. No issues with that atleast. The speed on my laptop only getting 190-220mbps. Through my ISP i have 300mbps. Just getting bad vibes from the Orbi.

Any one have reccomendations on what I should go for? My house is about 2700 sq ft. I have about 17 devices connected to the wifi and 3 wired. Not sure if I should go with another mesh wifi or go with a traditional tri-band router with an mesh wifi extender like the netgear one. I would prefer to have seperate ssids(2.4ghz and 5ghz) just to make sure everything is going to the right thing(more of me making sure I have more control). Also, kind of looking to speed under 200 if possible, if not that is okay.

I also do not have ethernet ports around the house.

Thanks in advanced!

Last edited:
Solution
If you don't have ethernet ports to put multiple WIFI access points, then you don't have many choices. I would recommend paying a professional installer to run ethernet cables and then add WIFI access points.
Jan 3, 2020
installing Ethernet cables are not an option currently. I was looking at the netgear nighthawk r7900 and having the netgear mesh router extender either the ex7700 or the ex8000.

kanewolf

Titan
installing Ethernet cables are not an option currently. I was looking at the netgear nighthawk r7900 and having the netgear mesh router extender either the ex7700 or the ex8000.
Mesh is mesh. Orbi has been one of the best from the reviews I have seen. WIFI roaming is a function of the client. You can try turning DOWN the power on individual WIFI sources so that the alternative is more attractive.

Jan 3, 2020
Mesh is mesh. Orbi has been one of the best from the reviews I have seen. WIFI roaming is a function of the client. You can try turning DOWN the power on individual WIFI sources so that the alternative is more attractive.

I do have coaxial jacks in my house. Theres 3 downstairs. I need to double check if there are any upstairs but I do beleive there are. Would you think that would be a better option to run AP's through the coaxial jacks instead of Mesh. I don't mind have multiple ssid's. I would rather prefer that

kanewolf

Titan
I do have coaxial jacks in my house. Theres 3 downstairs. I need to double check if there are any upstairs but I do beleive there are. Would you think that would be a better option to run AP's through the coaxial jacks instead of Mesh. I don't mind have multiple ssid's. I would rather prefer that
MoCA could be better. You at least have a wired infrastructure of some kind. It is not as good as ethernet. Will you get 300Mbit WIFI? I don't know.

txtechlover

Commendable
BANNED
Aug 22, 2019
I recently purchased a Netgear Orbi RBK50 and set it up yesterday. I had two disconnects already with orbi, had to restart the router once and the second time it came back up after 2 minutes. The auto hand off has not been great as some devices that were supposed to connect to the satellite was still connected to the main router. Devices going between 2.4ghz and 5ghz has been good. No issues with that atleast. The speed on my laptop only getting 190-220mbps. Through my ISP i have 300mbps. Just getting bad vibes from the Orbi.

Any one have reccomendations on what I should go for? My house is about 2700 sq ft. I have about 17 devices connected to the wifi and 3 wired. Not sure if I should go with another mesh wifi or go with a traditional tri-band router with an mesh wifi extender like the netgear one. I would prefer to have seperate ssids(2.4ghz and 5ghz) just to make sure everything is going to the right thing(more of me making sure I have more control). Also, kind of looking to speed under 200 if possible, if not that is okay.

I also do not have ethernet ports around the house.

Thanks in advanced!
reddit.com/r/eero if you want to talk to the eero devs. There is not a mesh like eero and it's the most stable technology you'll ever buy.

I too made the Orbi mistake in 2017 and switched to eero in late 2018. It's amazing.