Bad FPS 1080

cwjbalmain

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
Okay I have a good computer but for some reason I'm not getting the FPS I should be. As a benchmark I get 90fps average on Rainbow Six Seige with drops to 50fps. My specs are: 16gb ram, GTX 1080 (gigabyte), 4ghz processor, 700W psu, 2TB hard drive, and a 970 extreme4 asrock motherboard. Help?

UPDATE~~ After almost a year of painstaking diagnostics and reinstalling windows I have finally found the solution to this problem. A £4.99 fix, i was missing a PCI power cable joiner which joins two 6 pin PCI power cables together into the 8 pin GPU plug. Now I'm running smooth on an max FPS of 204.

Solution
Your Hdd might also have problems or simply be too full although if fresh installed windows it should be quite clean.
If money isnt an issue, I would advise buying a 250Gb or 320Gb SSD for windows and usual software and another 500Gb SSD for your most played games like Rainbow Six Siege. Use the Hdd you have for Storage and less played games.
Make shure none of the drives exceeds 75% capacity.

cwjbalmain

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017

Honestly I don't actually know, I know it's 4ghz from diognostics but it was left in the motherboard by accident when I bought it from a friend.

cwjbalmain

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017

I will try and find out off my friend. Say the CPU is the problem what will I need to look out for to prevent it when buying another one?

PCMACPC

Notable
Aug 5, 2017
First thing to find out is if your cpu is really the bottleneck.
You can check it easily with a program called Speccy.

If your cpu is really the bottleneck, I would recommend you buying something like the I7 7700K, or a Ryzen 1600x
But then you also need to buy another motherboard and compatible ram.

cwjbalmain

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017

Okay so Direct X Diagnostic tool tells me its a AMD FX-8350 Eight Core processor. Not sure if that will cause bottle necking.

cwjbalmain

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017

Sorry for the delay in reply, yes my cpu usage when playing Seige is below 40%, usually 32% as said by task manager, my motherboard is listed in my specs if that helps. I also often get FPS drops seemingly randomly which cause the whole computer to freeze fro a few seconds.

PCMACPC

Notable
Aug 5, 2017

Yep, but we're also talking about freezes, and I think that hasn't anything to do with a cpu bottleneck.

cwjbalmain

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017

Price is not really an issue but what processor will I need? It will have to be AMD as the current one is.

cwjbalmain

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017

Update. I have replaced my Motherboard, RAM, and CPU. I now have a Ryzen 5, an Msi Tomahawk, and 8GB DDR4 ram. However my performance is now worse than ever, in a benchmark of Rainbow Six Seige I'm getting a maximum FPS of 37 and a minimum of 13. I have updated the video drivers and still no change, I have no clue what is happening now.

Have you reinstalled Windows? When changing motherboards a fresh installation of Windows is highly recommended, not doing this can lead to stability or performance issues.

Once on a new Windows install make sure all motherboard drivers and the BIOS are up to date.

cwjbalmain

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017

Okay I'll try that and let you know what happens, just didn't want to reset my PC.

cwjbalmain

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017

Update: The game seems to be running now after visual drivers are installed but there is still minor latency in loading screens and boot up time, so I'm going to clear some hard drive space and get rid of old drivers and see if that helps.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Did you not reinstall Windows? If you did, you shouldn't have any of your old drivers on the PC. And if you didn't, you're avoiding something that really should have been done, given your problems. Windows is not like a pair of headphones that you can simply unplug and use somewhere else and not reinstalling Windows after a significant hardware change is just begging for problems, some obvious, some subtle.

cwjbalmain

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017

Okay so I was playing a game at normal FPS but when I activated Nivida share the FPS dropped back to before and wouldn't return, I looked at CPU usage and it was running at 30% at 1.3ghz and disk usage was at 100% I'm not sure what I means but I couldn't find anything causing the problem.

cwjbalmain

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017

After resetting my PC it doesn't seem to have helped.

Your Hdd might also have problems or simply be too full although if fresh installed windows it should be quite clean.
If money isnt an issue, I would advise buying a 250Gb or 320Gb SSD for windows and usual software and another 500Gb SSD for your most played games like Rainbow Six Siege. Use the Hdd you have for Storage and less played games.
Make shure none of the drives exceeds 75% capacity.

Solution

cwjbalmain

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017

I think that's a good idea, I have noticed before my games run worse the more I put on the HHD. I'm still working on the problem but it's certainly getting better slowly.

cwjbalmain

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017

The problem was much simpler and is nope fixed and in the question ^ Thank you for your help everyone. I'm selecting this answer as a solution to help other people with the same problem find a solution.