Jun 12, 2019
Hi guys,

I have been experiencing bad fps relative to the hardware I have in my system, I have been playing battlefield 1 at high-ultra settings @ 1440p. My fps is in the 35 to 55 range with severe fps drops randomly, my fps should be 100+. Other games like fallout 4 have bad fps too. Could it be the ram? I honestly don't know what it is... I have the latest driver for my nvidia gpu and water cooled my GPU in the first place because it was thermal throttling.
Temps at idle the gpu is at 34 C and the CPU at idle is at 38 C.
Temps in battlefield 1 for the GPU is 62 C and the CPU is at 72 C.
The gaming temps are 10 degrees lower for both the CPU and GPU in other games.

My Specs:

GTX 1080 ti FE with phanteks glacier water block (no overclocking done past the asus "gaming mode")
i7 8700k @ 3.7 GHz with phanteks glacier waterblock
8GB Corsair dominator DDR4 ram 3000 mHz C15 (bought 16 GB but one of the sticks was faulty)
PNY CS1311 240 GB SSD (1TB hardrive didn't fit in case so only use SSD)
Asus Z270i motherboard
phanteks shift x case

My cooling:

280mm 45mm thick alphacool radiator (XT45)
2x 140mm fans in push configuration
EKWB 250 reservoir
EKWB D5 pump rgb
EKc clear coolant
The cooling loop is only about 3 weeks old.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums Ribelin!

8GB single channel would definitely be contributing to a problem.
16GB is recommended for gaming and dual channel effectively doubles your bandwidth.

Especially considering games such as Fallout 4 are much more resourceful with RAM.

Is this a new problem - I.e. an older build that used to work fine, and now has bad FPS?
Or is this a problem you've had from the start?

Jun 12, 2019
Ok thanks for the response, so what brand do you recommend? Ive been looking at Corsair Vengeance rgb 2x8GB 3200MHz c16.

And are my temps good with respect to radiator size?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Any reputable brand will be suitable - Corsair, G Skill, Kingston, etc. Corsair are probably the most widely compatible. You can always check your motherboards QVL on their website. But just remember that if the RAM model you want isn't on that list, it's not that it isn't compatible, just that it hasn't been tested.

The RAM QVLs are rarely up to date because of the sheer number of RAM modules that are released, it's practically impossible to test and update all of them.

I would expect the CPU to be a bit cooler to be honest, but nothing to worry about - but assuming the 72 degrees is max temperature (bear in mind that individual CPU core temperatures are important here, not just overall CPU package). If 72 is the max on any core, then you're fine, keeping Intel chip temps below 80 degrees is recommended. Anything above 85 is not recommended.

Obviously last thing to bear in mind which I'm sure you're already considering is it isn't recommended to mix the new RAM with the old RAM as mixed modules are never guaranteed to work despite model types.

Reactions: Ribelin