Bad fps rates in multiplayer gaming

RhynOh

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016
Hello I have been having some trouble with my frame rate dropping very frequently but only in multiplayer gaming. When I play story mode or solo play its perfectly fine. I'm curious if my cpu isn't able to handle multiplayer gaming or if there is something else I can do that may improve my performance besides setting the graphics settings down in game because I have already tried that. Also I should mention I bought my cpu refurbished so idk if its just wearing out or if something else is causing the issue.

My setup:
-CPU - intel core i5 2500 3.3 ghz
-GPU - gtx 1050 ti 4gb
-RAM - 8 gigs RAM (had 16 but one stick went bad and it had the issue even when I had 16 gigs of RAM)
-PSU - EVGA 450 watt
I'm unsure of what motherboard I have

All responses are greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!

mrmez

Splendid
CPU's don't wear out and get slower. They either work or they don't.
It does sound like it's too slow. Download a monitoring app like ATI Afterburner, and get some graphs going. Otherwise we are really just guessing.

AmerAmer

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018
I am not a computer geek or anything but I am pretty sure that has something to do with the internet, your specs are pretty good to be having frame drops

RhynOh

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016

I am thinking maybe some background apps are causing my cpu utilization to be at 100% when gaming because it is reaching the 70s even when I am just sitting on the desktop. I am going to take some pics and post them in a few minutes.

RhynOh

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016

I just have my desktop hooked up to an Ethernet cable atm. Any tips or suggestions?

mrmez

Splendid
I haven't used that, so not too sure how to interpret the numbers.
Slow internet won't harm FPS. The game will run fine, but other players can jump around the screen, and you'll die before you even see another player if it's bad enough.
70% on desktop idle is VERY BAD. Shouldn't be higher than ~7%

RhynOh

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016

My bad try this one it should explain better

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/679058450038172633/

RhynOh

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016

oh lol well the numbers on the left are the current stats and the numbers in the middle are the lowest and the right is the highest
idk if that helps at all and thanks for all ur responses

mrmez

Splendid
Ok. Download ATI Afterburner so we can actually see a graph over time.
Even Alt-Tab in gaming will instantly cut cpu use. You need to have afterburner running in the background, then game for a few min while fps are bad, then alt-tab, screen cap, post.

What you are trying to do is make a conclusion without the data. Once you see the graph (data), you will be able to tell for yourself what is going on. From there, IF high cpu usage is the problem, we'll gather more data to find out what's causing it.

RhynOh

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016

let me know if this is not what you were referring to

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/41/ce/3c/41ce3c1e1d6c868c45dc7443b4fc9441.png

brian.nichole1020

Prominent
Dec 27, 2017
Try going into the properties of your Network card and disble, "uncheck" IPv6. Also if there is an IPv6 option in the game, disable it. Had a frame rate issue with Warcraft and Overwatch and turning off IPv6 fixed it.

mrmez

Splendid
Ok, that's better, but we need a graph, dude.
Something like this:
http://radeon.ru/downloads/utils/msi_afterburner/img/afterburner_b.png

The instant figure of 100% CPU use is DEFINITELY cause for low fps. Assuming it happens for more than just a single moment.

Now do the same from a fresh restart just desktop idle.
Log the graph over a minute or so. See what happens.

If high usage (anything above single figures) something is up.
Alt-ctrl-del. Open task manager, sort by cpu usage and see what's running.

RhynOh

Commendable
Nov 13, 2016

ok i believe this is the graph u r looking for lol I'm very sorry thank you for your patience

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f6/f3/8a/f6f38ac3ed72ad3051bb80add76ca973.png

also I looked on the task manager and these things like superfetch and Microsoft software protection platform are using a lot of cpu usage and disk space

mrmez

Splendid
Great. So these two at the very least are using a lot of CPU, and maybe a lot of ram too.

Try manually quitting those from the task manager and see what happens during idle and gaming.
You probably need to google those processes for more info. I mostly use macs and my gaming PC is pretty sparse with software, so I don't know a lot about those.

Bottom line, it's not your network, something is taxing your CPU and that should not be happening.