Bad gaming PC build? please help

Nov 19, 2018
NZXT tower
Mother board: MSI Z170 A
cpu: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
gpu: GeForce GTX 1080 (auros extreme)
memory:CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Storage: 500 gb ssd/ 1 TB hdd
EVGA 800w PSU
oh and running windows 10 (upgraded from 7)

So I built this pc a few months ago, but I feel like I've been having issues while gaming. My games will crash if I try to run them at higher resolutions, and I've noticed that my CPU takes the brunt of the labor. something like 70% mem usage/ and the gpu will show 1%- 15%.
I've made sure that my games and everything run off the gpu, the drivers were done as a clean install... I have 3 fans and have made sure that nothing is overheating...everything seems to be in working order, but my gpu doesn't seem to ever go over 20% usage ( I've tried playing different games to see how it handles them, from LoL to Black ops 4, MHW). Maybe just a bad gpu? or bad build somehow? anyway, I'd appreciate any input, this one has me stumped

Also ran a stress test on the gpu and everything seems to be fine with it on that end. Ran FurMark for 5 Minutes at 2k resolution (native to my main monitor thats also G-Sync capable) ran at 90 fps the whole time. temps did rise to about 67 degrees Celsius, but other than that, no lag no jumpy frames or anything, so I really am lost lol OH! and power stayed at about 80-85% consumption

What CPU cooler are you using?

I suggest you download NVIDIA GeForce Experience to update your GPU drivers. If it's already on the latest driver, I suggest rolling-back and re-updating it again.

What are your RAM speeds btw?

Nov 19, 2018
What CPU cooler are you using?

I suggest you download NVIDIA GeForce Experience to update your GPU drivers. If it's already on the latest driver, I suggest rolling-back and re-updating it again.

What are your RAM speeds btw?[/quotemsg]

I'm using one one CoolerMaster fans that goes mounted right over the cpu I think, I think maybe the pro 3 or 4?

And yes I let the Nvidia Geforce update it's own drivers, but thinking that might have been the issue since I upgraded from the 760 ti, I did a clean install. Didn't seem to make much of a difference though as far as ram speed I wanna say 3000mhz? I'm at work, answering off the top of my head lol I think that's right though,