Bad Gigabyte Z270 Motherboard - Repair or Replace?

Jonathan_17

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015
I have a Gigabyte Z270 Gaming K motherboard and shipped it to be repaired with Gigabyte under my so-called warranty. I paid shipping also. Today, I received a reply from them stating their "repair technicians noticed severe damage to the CPU socket. To replace the CPU socket there will be a $100.00 repair charge." How would you respond? Has anyone else been in this situation? Would you pay for the repair charge? I have i5 7500 3.4GHz CPU. Other components are two HyperX FURY DDR4 4GB, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, EVGA SuperNOVA NEX650G 80PLUS Gold, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB - NVMe PCIe M.2 and case is a NZXT S340.

Should count my loses and buy a new motherboard and possibly a new CPU? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Were there bent pins on the motherboard CPU socket? If so, then 100 bucks is probably fair considering you caused the damage.

If none of the CPU pins on the motherboard were bent, not even one pin, then I'd argue that there was no damage when you sent them the board.

Honestly though, at the price of the repair, being 100 bucks, you are not going to get a new motherboard nor are they going to "fix" your motherboard. They are going to throw it in the trash and send you an open box or refurb'd unit that has been tested to pass minimal checks and that covers their responsibility in providing you with a functional board in return.

For that hundred bucks, I'd put a few more bucks with it and just get a better board. Or, you can upgrade the whole platform if you don't like the idea of buying a new motherboard for a system that doesn't move you forward in performance. Might not be the worst idea to just scrap the platform, sell the CPU you have and get a new motherboard and CPU that are 8th or 9th gen.