Bad GPU leads to bad EVERYTHING. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

im9today

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
Hello Tom's Hardware community,

I've never had to resort to asking for help on forums (not that it's a bad idea, it just seems like it should be the LAST step when troubleshooting).

Anyway, about a year ago I bought a used computer, and everything was fine. Not TOO long ago (3-4 months) my GPU drivers had consistently been crashing on many games it should be able to play and some it had played in the past. Eventually I think I widdled the cause of the problem down to overheating, but I'm not sure anymore.

This morning, while playing League of Legends, my drivers failed yet again and kicked me out of the game. It had been doing this the night before as well and I think I just had enough of it. I immediately shut my computer off and took out the GPU and began operating (don't worry, no warranties were voided, it's a BFG card and they don't honor warranties anymore). After taking the card apart and cleaning the dust out of it, I popped it back in and crossed my fingers. Unfortunately, it's red light came on an my PC gave me a long beep followed by two short beeps indicating my computer couldn't start because of a video error. This is to be expected, the card wasn't doing well before and I just opened it up and butchered it.

Figuring I would just buy another card and ditch the headache, I thought I could winker with the card some more, no harm done. So I did. Upon putting it back in my machine and pressing the power switch, I wasn't greeted with a long beep or any short beeps. Just the one regular beep. And better yet, the GPUs light wasn't red, it was green! I had hope that I had just solved all my problems, but apparently that's just not the case. Windows attempted to start like normal, but froze on the "Starting Windows" screen (the black one with the windows logo and the little load bar under it). After restarting I was greeted with a Windows boot error in which my computer prompted me I needed to repair. OK, so I hit the repair button. It says it can't repair it.

At this point I toss in my Windows installation disc and try reinstalling. The whole install process begins and ALMOST finishes, but on the "completing installation" step the screen goes black with that little white underscore flashing in the top left corner. My God this computer is a headache.

At this point I've accepted that I probably need to buy a new GPU and that's fine. What I would REALLY like to know is if that's even the problem. I don't know if the GPU is causing Windows to fail like this, and I have no idea if buying a new one will fix the problem.

I guess what I'm asking is, given the situation, what exactly would I need to do to get my computer running again. Preferably without all the God awful driver failing issues too (and trust me, I tried everything possible to fix that issue when it was relevant with little success. I hate this GPU and want it replaced).

Thank you for your time. :)

P.S.
I'm using a GTX 295, Windows 7 64-bit. The rest of the hardware is sufficient for these two components and I have never had any issues with anything else, just the GPU. Until now.

Solution
Sounds like you have an on board memory fail of the graphics card, Maybe you could Rma it with a bit of luck.
As I am sure BFG give a life time warranty. You may also get a better card out of it if they dont have anymore 295 cards.
But it will be one equal to the buying price at of the old card, to one that is more new.

im9today

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
I have 3 hard drives and already tried that (this was when I attempted to reinstall Windows in the original post). There was nothing wrong with it before but I'm still open to solutions.

since it almost booted
then almost installed
it sounds like the card is bad
do you have onboard graphics and just install Windows with the onboard?
or have an older card laying around or you can borrow?
if everything installs and works fine then you are okay
you can just write off the card (which sucks but happens)

I just decided to take out my HD 5670 and apply AS-5 paste
I thought I did it well though I havent done it to a card since
the Nvidia 7600 days

so I reinstalled and nothing

so I thought I fried the card somehow
so I installed a HD 4650 which I know works
and still nothing
turns out I probably ruined the PCIe socket
so now I ordered an used motherboard on Ebay
(Dell Optiplex 745 P.O.S.- $25 with the shipping included LOL)
and hopefully the HD 5670 works

I tell you this
just so you know I feel your pain :)
at the same time my wifes tower is now rebooting all on its own

back to your problem
the driver issues could of been hardware related
I have read that BFG near the end got a bad rep
shame
was a good card maker back in the day
they were really cutting costs before they ditched the video card market

sorry for the book
too much coffee LOL

Sounds like you have an on board memory fail of the graphics card, Maybe you could Rma it with a bit of luck.
As I am sure BFG give a life time warranty. You may also get a better card out of it if they dont have anymore 295 cards.
But it will be one equal to the buying price at of the old card, to one that is more new.

Solution

How rude! LOL
I am sorry that you cant handle more than a paragraph of reading crowe
but really nobody said you had to read it did they? :)

Well the forum rules do say not to write big blocks of text
nobody wants to try to read a "wall" of text with no paragraphs or spacing
I am not sure if crowe was talking about me or the OP
but the OPs post was fine to me
He used proper grammar and spacing and indentation
and was very readable
but as crowe pointed out the OP couldve gotten to the point quicker
Well I better stop before I piss off Crowe LOL

The comment was at the OP, but its just me, i'm just impatient and cant be bothered reading that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.