[SOLVED] Bad GPU or CPU? Im lost

Nov 20, 2019
So after installing a new MSI RX 5700 XT Mech OC my computer went haywire, it resulted in random reboots and black screens(no input device). I would get them completely random, maybe once in 5 hours or 2 in 1 hour and the next day 0 in approx 8 hours. They occured when gaming or during simply browsing, now it's completely dead. What ive done so far:

RMA'd Corsair rm750x (no issues found)
RMA'd Asus X470 Prime-Pro (yes this is my 2nd motherboard, first 1 died aswell)
MEM-Test 86 0 Errors Found
Voltages completely fine,
All temperatures are fine aswell.
Changed to new drivers went back to old ones, windows reinstall etc nothing helped.
So now my question is, can my GPU kill my entire PC? Or is there something else going on which requires an expert. Please help, thank you.

Solution
in a case liike this i would disasemble completelly the pc, remove everything out of the case, with the motherboard and cpu alone, then add only one ram module and start testing parts like nvme, ssds, gpu, hard disks, more rm modules

then if i don't find any problem i would check the motherboard standoffs on the pc case, if you missed one or if you are not screwing it properly, check the motherboard itself in the back to see if it has any visible damage or pressure mark

do you have a ups? hve you checked voltages on the wall outlet? the power socket itself?

in a case like this, doubt everything, test everything
Nov 20, 2019
Post your system's specs, like so:
CPU: Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard: Asus Prime X470 Pro
Ram: G Skill DDR 4 Trident-Z 16 Gigs
SSD/HDD: Samsung 970 Evo 250 Gigs M2
GPU: MSI RX 5700 XT Mech OC
PSU: Corsair RM750x
Chassis: Corsair Carbide 270 R

We can move forward from there.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
random reboots on a new gpu always point to a psu not delivering power properly

if you already rma the psu and being a good and with plenty of watts, seems to be ruled out

the gpu is a model using 1x8 pin and 1x6 pin power connectors?

are you doing ny overclocking on the cpu at the moment? anything over 3.9ghz?

Nov 20, 2019
random reboots on a new gpu always point to a psu not delivering power properly

if you already rma the psu and being a good and with plenty of watts, seems to be ruled out

the gpu is a model using 1x8 pin and 1x6 pin power connectors?

are you doing ny overclocking on the cpu at the moment? anything over 3.9ghz?

Hi,

Yes GPU has 1x8 and 1x6 pin connectors, tried both 1 wire and 2 wires from PSU, didnt make any difference. Havent OCed anything since I build it last year in May. They tested PSU under heavy load for hours on a better system than mine without issues. Its just odd my mobo died again which I thought was the initial issue.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
have you had the opportunity to test the gpu on another pc? to see if it works or does the same as on this pc?

the other reason i could see as a source of problems is that the 1x8 pin power cable for the gpu is not doing proper contact, i had lots of bad quality psu connectors in the past, if you see the connector is abit different form the other 8 pin power cable for the gpu, perhaps try with the other as the 1x8 and use that one as 1x6

a gpu like this use will load more the 8pin one, the 6 pin one is there for heavy overclocking mostly

Nov 20, 2019
have you had the opportunity to test the gpu on another pc? to see if it works or does the same as on this pc?

the other reason i could see as a source of problems is that the 1x8 pin power cable for the gpu is not doing proper contact, i had lots of bad quality psu connectors in the past, if you see the connector is abit different form the other 8 pin power cable for the gpu, perhaps try with the other as the 1x8 and use that one as 1x6

a gpu like this use will load more the 8pin one, the 6 pin one is there for heavy overclocking mostly

No im not able to test GPU on another system, I tried swapping cables before yes, with no luck. But can a bad GPU cause a motherboard to die like that? Twice even? I read that GPU's are pretty much harmless for a mobo.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
in a case liike this i would disasemble completelly the pc, remove everything out of the case, with the motherboard and cpu alone, then add only one ram module and start testing parts like nvme, ssds, gpu, hard disks, more rm modules

then if i don't find any problem i would check the motherboard standoffs on the pc case, if you missed one or if you are not screwing it properly, check the motherboard itself in the back to see if it has any visible damage or pressure mark

do you have a ups? hve you checked voltages on the wall outlet? the power socket itself?

Solution
Nov 20, 2019

Im on it, thanks for the quick replies! Il get back to you with my results!