Bad GPU, or something else?

Daniel_Jordan_56

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017
Hi all,

So the other night I was about to sit down and game, then all of a sudden my PC shut off. It wasn't me accidentally hitting the surge protector with my foot, or a power outage because other devices plugged into the same surge protector were working along with the lights in my room. So I began investigating the issue by taking my PC, checking all the cable connections on the MOBO and everything was plugged in securely. I checked the cables going to my GPU and they were plugged in securely as well.

Next I took out the GPU and the computer fired right back up. To make sure it wasn't a GPU cable issue I took another cable and hooked the GPU back up with it. Still wouldn't boot.

To rule out a MOBO or a PSU issue I dug my old GTX 560s out and plugged them both up in SLI and the machine booted right up. I even put the "bad" GPU in another working build and that PC wouldn't fire either.

At this point I'm pretty sure that it's a bad GPU issue, but I just wanted to make sure before I get another one and possibly hook it up to a bad PSU or MOBO.

My setup is:
i7 6700k
Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero
Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) DDR4
Samsung Evo 850 1TB & 250GB
Corsair RM1000 PSU
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980Ti Overclocked (GPU that blew up)