Oompa2021

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
Hello everyone! Just a quick question with some pictures.
Is my graphics card going bad?
I can't figure out how to post pictures from my phone, but when I turn the computer on, the mobo screen is fragmented. The windows (xp) loading screen is a little discolored, and then it just sits at a black screen for a whole until it restarts itself. If I go to start it in safe mode or any other screen, I get a bunch of á's and other weird symbols all across the screen. I can access the BIOS fine, but I don't know what to do from there. I'm hoping its just the card has gone bad, but I'm not sure. The whole setup is about 6 years old. The card is an 8600 GTS. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bryan.

deboyrunner

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
re-seat and clean the video card. Try another socket if you have one.
Does the monitor control panel look normal when you don't connect the cable to the computer? If the monitor is normal the issue is your video card/power supply connector. I had wacky issues with mine and it was power. I had to change my power supply as not enough voltage was getting to the video card. If you have pets-make sure the video card fan is working well and clean. Pets kill fans/cooling parts. Good luck.