Oct 31, 2019
So my 2TB WD Blue HDD was in haywire and I was prepping it to be reinstalled with Windows 10. I went through the installation about 4 times, each time Windows said there was some sort of error. The last error code before the HDD...well, kind'a just 'R.I.P.', was error code "0xc0000098".

I bought a new SSD and got that installed with Windows 10 Home (Note: I am installing it with no product key on both). I got Windows 10 running on the 120GB Sandisk Plus SSD. So I thought, salvaging and/or using the 2TB HDD as a storage device. After all, it had been formatted CLEAN the last time I was able to do anything with it. I plugged it in and I made sure to make the SSD as BBS Prio #1 and the HDD as #2. Tried to boot it. Nothing. Even with that config, it wasn't able to boot into windows and the Disk Activity Indicator LED on the front panel just went permanently ON, like it did when the HDD was going haywire.

So, tried to run it again, this time, disabling the HDD so that it would only boot to the SSD. Nothing. LED light still permanently on and I wasn't able to get into Windows. So finally, I unplugged the HDD off the motherboard where it sits there, like a beast not wanting to be awakened. The SATA cables are just fine. I got a new one and tested it to the SSD which the stock and the new one worked just fine.

Any help would be appreciated as to what kind of problem this is. The mobo is just fine, running the latest GIGABYTE B350M-D3H bios version. It's just that when the HDD is plugged, everything goes up in flames (not literally) even though it is not selected as a boot option. I am hesitant to hot plug the SATA in while the system is running. Mod edit: Don't post personal info please.

Last edited by a moderator:
The jist, as I gather, is that if that HDD is plugged in with a working OS installed SSD then it will not boot.

Honestly it sounds like a faulty HDD. A bad HDD can cause, even if its not the boot drive, hard freezes outside of Windows.

Oct 31, 2019
The jist, as I gather, is that if that HDD is plugged in with a working OS installed SSD then it will not boot.

Honestly it sounds like a faulty HDD. A bad HDD can cause, even if its not the boot drive, hard freezes outside of Windows.
Thank you! I guess I have no other choice but to salvage it? I will buy a new one in due time. It's such a waste, seeing a 2TB go that was just rather fine after 4 years of using it.