orion pax

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I have a ton of IDE cables and I can not get ANY drive set as slave to work on them except for 1! Are they ALL bad? I mean really! Some are the standard 18 in flat IDE cables. Some are 24in flat cables. 2 are 36in round IDE cables. None of these work. The only one that works is a 18in round IDE cable.

None of my drives will work set as a slave on the slave plug on the IDE cable. I can set one as slave and put it on the Master position and it works but not slave. Does this mean they are all bad?

orion pax

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Yes a master as well on the cable set as master by the jumpers. I havent tried cable select as I have always had issues in the past getting cable select to work so I try to avoid it!

What I did was the 1 cable that worked with the 2 particular harddrives that I had attached to it, I removed it and connected each cable to it 1 at a time and booted to bios to see if it detected them. If 2 drives were connected, nothing. If just master then it was fine. Just slave, nothing. 2 of them actually did show something, a bunch of garbage so it was obvious that those 2 are bad. But not sure about the rest.

I will give cable select a try, but pretty confident that I will get the same results. Never had any better with CS in the past!

orion pax

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I know. I am having a hard time believing it too! Well I tried cable select and same thing! I even tried putting a Sony dvd burner on slave with cable select set on both HD and burner (known working) and no go!

I even tried master set as master and slave set as slave with the burner and same thing. So I dont think its an issue with the drives as they work with the 1 cable.

And this is the IDE channel 0 on the motherboard. ms-7030 msi k8 neo 7030 mobo. (non platinum version) I checked the bios and I dont see any settings (that i know of) that would do this, if any!

orion pax

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Ok thanks! I just needed a second opinion! I was having a hard time believing that as well. So off to ebay it is!

Just out of curiosity have you had any issues with cables over 18in? I know older drives fail with a longer cable. Drives based on ata ide 133 from what I have read should work fine on a longer cable. Asking because I need a long cable for my drives to reach in my tower!