Bad Image Errors

EvilMunchkin

Honorable
Jun 4, 2016
Hello, I recently started having Bad Image errors and am looking for help on resolving them. They have been on several executables I have been trying to open, as well as some I don't recognize which I assume have been ones running in the background, and sometimes one upon starting up and attempting to sign in.
I have tried every recommended method I could find with no success, including:

1) Running a command prompt in administrator and typing "sfc /scannow". This always stops at 17% with the message "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."

2) Doing multiple System Restores to different restore points, those always resulting in a fail due to being unable to restore a directory from the restore point.

3) Navigating to AppInit_DLLs and removing any values using the Registry Editor.

4) Uninstalling the most recent windows update.

5) Un and reinstalling the offending programs.

The only thing I have yet to try is to completely reset my PC, which I would rather not do. I am also unfortunately not very good with computers, so I apologize if I have missed anything. Thank you!

EvilMunchkin

Honorable
Jun 4, 2016

I am using Windows 10, which I upgraded to from Windows 8, which is what my computer came preloaded with.

As far as reliability goes, it looks like on 9/7/18 there was a Windows Hardware Error, with the event name being "LiveKernelEvent", I can give you the full details of it if needed.
Then on 9/12/18, there are various errors for Host Process for Windows, MicrosoftNotes.exe, and Battle.net (the blizzard application) saying that they have stopped working.There were also two informational events, those being Definition Update for Windows Defender Antivirus, though I am unsure if those had anything to do with this. Nothing other than that.

EvilMunchkin

Honorable
Jun 4, 2016

I just decided to take screencaps of them to make sure I don't miss anything.
oaEW03P.png

BSIAHcU.png

ZqAXMWq.png

QUeSeYL.png

Ralston18

Titan
Good work.

Keep watching.

I noted "A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly".

But there are other errors as well.

I am leaning towards a PSU problem. Often presents with a variety of widespread errors..

Again, keep watching and see what happens. Do not wish to bias you towards PSU per se but need you to recognize and understand the nuances.

Going back a step or two: when do those "bad image errors" tend to appear? What executables?

EvilMunchkin

Honorable
Jun 4, 2016

The one I can remember is "ismagent.exe" which appears to be a part of Intel Recovery Agent. I've had around 2-3 more that I can't recognize, but for the life of me I don't remember what they are called. I haven't noticed anything setting them off in particular either.
As far as I know I haven't had any problems with my power supply, but its not really the kind of thing I would know how to check.
Anyways, I have work tomorrow so I need to sleep now, but I will see what errors I get tomorrow and keep you posted.

Colif

Win 11 Master
see if this helps with image error

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

EvilMunchkin

Honorable
Jun 4, 2016

Thank you for the advice Colif. When I run the Repair-Windows Image command it comes up with this:
xnD8lqk.png

However when I try to run the SFC command it gives me the same error as before:
BiuX3nw.png

I am unsure if the Repair command was successful or not, as the same programs don't run even after restarting my computer.

Colif

Win 11 Master
that isn't the normal answer.

We can see if we can fix the image using DISM (top command) or just replace windows itself

1. Download a copy of the win 10 iso from Here - create ISO by telling it you want to make DVD - and then mount that ISO in file explorer (see Here) and then copy paste the below command into command prompt (admin)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess
Where "X" is the drive letter where the ISO is located. Simply change the "X" to the correct drive letter

If that works, re run SFC and see if it can finally get past 17%

or

2. Fix Windows - What I would do is run a repair install of windows 10, all it will do is replace windows - you will need to reinstall all cumulative updates again, it doesn't touch anything else though, so all your applications etc should be safe - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Essentially, both of these are the same. whereas 1 fixes the image file, number 2 replaces windows entirely. Both need a copy of windows 10 installer to do their jobs

EvilMunchkin

Honorable
Jun 4, 2016
Well I'm at a loss here. Neither of those have worked, and i ended up doing a factory reset which didn't either. I think i am just going to take it into a repair shop, perhaps having someone be able to take a look at it will help.
Thnk you all for your advice, i really appriciate it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You could try a clean install since you have downloaded the media creation tool and made an installer.

If the problem is just windows, a clean install should fix it.

change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

if it doesn't you can still take PC to shop afterwards. Its worth a try.

if you don't have an installer, another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB