[SOLVED] Bad luck, horizontal lines on top half of the screen

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
So just a few days after I commented that I'll take care of my GPU, I think I offended both fate and lady luck and they returned to bite me. Out of nowhere, weird horizontal lines appeared on the screen. It appeared just few minutes ago. When the lines first appeared the GPU wasn't doing anything particularly demanding, I was working on some Google Docs when the lines gradually appear. Weirdly enough, the lines only cover the top half of the screen, the bottom part is fine. The can be more clearly seen when the monitor is showing bright colours.

Obligatory system specs :
CPU : Ryzen 5 2600
MB : MSI X370 SLI Plus
RAM : T-Force Delta R DDR4 3000 32 GB(16x2)
GPU : Yeston RX 6800 XT
SSD : Samsung PM1725a 1.5 TB
HDD : An old 500 GB Seagate Momentus Thin
PSU : Seasonic S12G Gold
Cooler : Cryorig H7 QL
Monitor : LG 22MP68VQ

I've tried a few things, reinstalling drivers, booting in safe mode, messing around in monitor settings, restarting the PC countless times, trying another HDMI cable (I only have HDMI, unfortunately, so I can't try another port, but I'm open to buying other cables if necessary). Also tried running 3DMark's stress test and it passed just fine (99%). Everything worked fine just few minutes ago.

I've taken some pictures of the problem, but I don't think the pictures are clear enough to show the problem. I'll fetch a different camera and try to take a better picture, will update the post later. But, I wonder what's wrong with my PC?

UPDATE : Pictures

I've uploaded two pictures, one for the top half (with lines) and bottom half (no lines) of the monitor. It's rather hard to see, but it's possible to see the horizontal lines on the top right of the screen on the "problematic" image. Compare that to the "normal" image, where the "pixels" look smoother overall. I've found out that grey is the best background colour to make the lines visible.

Last edited:
Solution
Sorry for the late reply. I only have one TV and it's bolted to the wall. I have to remove the TV off the wall first so I could connect it to my PC. And before you ask, the thought of carrying the PC to the living room instead escaped my mind the entire hour I toiled around with power tools to remove the TV. Sorry.

Anyway, good news. The display showed up just fine when the PC is connected to the TV. So, the GPU is actually ok. I call it good news because... at least the monitor is much cheaper than the GPU (was $150 AUD, compared to the GPU whose price was so profane I wouldn't even mention it).

The question now is, what happened to the monitor? Did it just... gave up? This is the first time I've seen any kind of display dying...

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Did you test a different monitor? Might be the display dying. If you have a second monitor somewhere or a TV, try plugging that one in.

Sorry for the late reply. I only have one TV and it's bolted to the wall. I have to remove the TV off the wall first so I could connect it to my PC. And before you ask, the thought of carrying the PC to the living room instead escaped my mind the entire hour I toiled around with power tools to remove the TV. Sorry.

Anyway, good news. The display showed up just fine when the PC is connected to the TV. So, the GPU is actually ok. I call it good news because... at least the monitor is much cheaper than the GPU (was $150 AUD, compared to the GPU whose price was so profane I wouldn't even mention it).

The question now is, what happened to the monitor? Did it just... gave up? This is the first time I've seen any kind of display dying (the TV I'm currently using, for example, has been running since 3D movies were all the rage, I think it was 2010. That monitor was bought around 2017, and only used for "regular things").

KyaraM

Admirable
Mar 11, 2022

The question now is, what happened to the monitor? Did it just... gave up? This is the first time I've seen any kind of display dying (the TV I'm currently using, for example, has been running since 3D movies were all the rage, I think it was 2010. That monitor was bought around 2017, and only used for "regular things").
Hey, good to hear it was the monitor after all! Even if it was such a stupid long and unnerving time for you. Should be quite a bit cheaper to replace than a new GPU at least. About the monitor dying, that can happen, amd static artifacts over only part of the monitor are a good sign for it. My old monitor started fading to the point of everything getting a silver sheen over time, which is why I replaced it two years ago. Another before that had similar issues to yours. All monitors will die one day just like every other piece of hardware, just some hold out longer than others. If you used your PC screen more than the TV, that might be part of why it died sooner. Or simple luck. Or about a million other possible issues.

Solution

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Hey, good to hear it was the monitor after all! Even if it was such a stupid long and unnerving time for you. Should be quite a bit cheaper to replace than a new GPU at least. About the monitor dying, that can happen, amd static artifacts over only part of the monitor are a good sign for it. My old monitor started fading to the point of everything getting a silver sheen over time, which is why I replaced it two years ago. Another before that had similar issues to yours. All monitors will die one day just like every other piece of hardware, just some hold out longer than others. If you used your PC screen more than the TV, that might be part of why it died sooner. Or simple luck. Or about a million other possible issues.

Well, maybe it's time for me to replace it anyway. I've called several electronics repair shop around here, and none of them said they could fix the monitor. They mentioned difficulty of getting parts or some sort. I've also called LG and they said it's not covered under warranty anymore. Looks like a new monitor is on the menu.

Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it.