Question Bad Memory Beep Code with Different Types of RAM

Jun 8, 2020
Specs:
  • GA-78LMT-USB3 and ASRock 970m Pro 3
  • AMD FX-8350
  • Adata AD3U1600W8G11-B 8GB x2
  • EVGA 500w

Problem:
I've recently decided to swap cases out due to my GPU overheating and shorting from my previous atrocity of airflow in there. However once I rebuilt it and tried to boot there was no display but power was still there for the fans. I decided to breadboard it to try to narrow it down but even with the essentials I was still getting no post. I got a motherboard speaker to try to get closer on what the issue is but it ended up confusing me even more. I'm getting a long beep from the Gigabyte board which is indicating a ram issue whether dead or installed wrong. On the ASRock board I get no beeps which is for bad CPU or RAM or it's totally fine (Thank you ASRock for the helpful beep codes). I grabbed an 8GB stick from my brother (not sure on brand or power) and I still get the error code.

Things I've Tried:
  • CMOS Clear
  • Each RAM slot testing
  • Drained the extra power out
  • Breadboard
  • Ensure cables are secure
  • Most of the common troubleshooting tips for RAM and general no posting

Essentially:
RAM ain't being recognized by both boards and even with another RAM stick it still won't post.

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature we will need your full system's specs. Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

Either you forgot the GPU in your system or you don't have one at all. To note, that processor should never be on that board since they both lack the VRM capability to drive a 125W TDP processor, regardless of marketing fluff. how old is your PSU and what series is it from EVGA? EVGA is the brand while 500W is the wattage, hence why I asked which series.

What case were you working with prior?

Jun 8, 2020
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature we will need your full system's specs. Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

Sorry for that, should of been more thorough on it.

CPU: AMD FX-8350
Motherboard: Gigabyte ga-78lmt-usb3
HDD & SSD: Toshiba DT01ACA200 2 TB & Samsung 860 Evo 250GB
RAM: Adata AD3U1600W8G11-B 8GB x2
GPU: AsRock RX 570
Old GPU: Sapphire RX 480
PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR 500W - 4+ Years Old (If that's more clarity on it, sorry if it's not again)

What case were you working with prior?

Not really sure on the exact case I was working with previously but it was from an old pre-built if that say's anything about it. Around 20 pounds of pure metal and glass with minimal ventilation holes; which is great for airflow!

To note, that processor should never be on that board

So should I go around grabbing a new board or CPU because it was working fine as a bench for most the time?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts