[SOLVED] Bad mobo, CPU, or RAM?

Nov 13, 2020
Hello! I'm rather new to PC components and recently spent a lot of money to build my first gaming PC. After putting everything together turning it on for the first time, I get an error on my motherboards debugger. It's scrolled through various number and letter combinations. The reoccurring important code was 4C. Looking this up, it was RAM related. After this, I tried a single stick in slot 1, and got the same error code. After THAT, I tried a single stick in slot 3 and it worked fine. Just to make sure it wasn't my RAM i tried all 4 sticks them in slot 3. booted fine, for each one so I'm pretty sure my RAM is ok. any insight will be helpful on how I should proceed. Thanks a lot!

SPECS:
MOBO: ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING X
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900KS

GPU: RTX 3090
RAM: x4 16 GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance LPX (CL18)
PSU: EVGA G3 SuperNOVA 1000w

Last edited:
Solution
With RAM related issues it's best to first update your Bios to the latest version.
Latest version is 1.20 and available here: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z390 Phantom Gaming X/#BIOS

You have OC RAM so manual input for SPD (Serial Presence Detect) in Bios will be necessary to have them work at their rated frequency. Your CPU officially supports up to 2666MHz so keep that in mind as the IMC may not handle 64GB at 3600MHz frequency

Please list the P/N of your RAM kit to check for a possible mismatch and does your RAM kit/s consist of four 16GB kits or a single kit 64GB 16x4 ?
With RAM related issues it's best to first update your Bios to the latest version.
Latest version is 1.20 and available here: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z390 Phantom Gaming X/#BIOS

You have OC RAM so manual input for SPD (Serial Presence Detect) in Bios will be necessary to have them work at their rated frequency. Your CPU officially supports up to 2666MHz so keep that in mind as the IMC may not handle 64GB at 3600MHz frequency

Please list the P/N of your RAM kit to check for a possible mismatch and does your RAM kit/s consist of four 16GB kits or a single kit 64GB 16x4 ?

Solution
Nov 13, 2020
I had forgot to mention I updated my Bios first thing after getting it to boot with a single stick in slot 3 hoping that would turn out to be the solution, which it wasn't. I bought 2 16x2 kits. the p/n is (I think) cmk32gx4m2d3600c18

You are trying to mix kits which is not a good idea. Reason being they may have differing Latency. Even kits with the exact same P/N can be a mismatch. DIMM modules are binned at the factory into pairs or quads that match.

Errors can occur when the system needs more than 16GB and uses the other 16GB and the difference in Latency causes a crash.
Return the two kits you have for a single kit (2x32) 64GB that are listed on the MB QVL and known to work.

You must have a heavy workload for 64GB?

Nov 13, 2020
Yes... the 64gb would be nice but I can live with 32. I need to start working soon, so 32gb will have to do with a single 16x2 kit. Thanks a lot for the information, you've been a big help to my uneducated self haha. 1 more question though. you had mentioned my CPU officially supports up to 2666MHz but I'm running 3600. Can this damage my CPU or anything? Thanks again!