Bad Mobo or Cpu? No post beep. RAM, GPU & PSU ok.

MisterFluffles

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016
Hello there, I'm new to posting here. (I Hope it's the right place for it) But after a long time of reading over this site and having wonderful helpful insights and tips. I'm willing to give it a shot, as I'm at a lost end.

The story.

I was using my PC when it suddenly froze. The screen stuck and I couldn't do anything but power off the PC manually. Now when I tried starting it up, it just sits there, FANS spinning endlessly without ever giving a single short Post beep. Black screen and no video output.

The only thing it does is powering everything up and spinning up the fans of the CPU and Case fans if connected to the MoBO.

The Mobo however does give 3 long beeps when powering up when I remove the Ram Sticks.
Now the ram sticks itself aren't an issue as they are brand new. They are in working order, I allready tried putting them in all Ram Slots to no avail.

Also the PSU is a new one. Barely used and as new as they come. Which works perfectly as far as I know.

I tried everything, from Breadboarding to installing everything, piece by piece on an Wooden board. Still always the same result.

There is NO beep what so ever when I insert the RAM sticks. Without it gives a Memeory error beep sequence of 3, long beeps.

I tried with several GPU's I had laying around, switching them up in either one of the PCIE slots the mobo has.
Also here, when connected with the PSU the led's light up and the Fan spins. But still no succesful boot up.

So all in all I've come to a conclusion that it should be a faulty half working MOBO (which is far likier) then a CPU error?

How can I be certain to test it? or should I simply RMA the mobo and get an other one?

PS: I also did the CMOS battery reset and so.
PS: No succes what so ever of booting into windows. Fans spinning endlessly.

The system is
ASrock 970 pro3
corsair CX750
2 x GeIL 8Gb DDR3 1333 ram sticks
Geforce GTX970 (other cards were geforce 660, geforce 250)
AMD FX-6350 3900 AM3+
SSD 120GB
Seag 1TB SATA

Thank you!

Solution
Alright everyone, settle down. I've cleaned up all the off topic bickering and better not see any more of it or it's vacation time for all involved.

@Antennas44, you need to start reading and comprehending things before you post. None of your answers here pertained to the reported problem.

The only correct response to this post is "I have read and understand the warning"

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
So lets go back to the RAM. Yes I know its brand new, but the board is detecting when its not there. And when it is there it doesn't work. Its possible (however unlikely) that the RAM is bad. Is there another PC you can test it in, or another stick of RAM available to you to test?

MisterFluffles

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016

Oh yes, Sorry, I forgot to mention. They are in working order because I've tried them out on a friends PC and they worked. It was also the first thing that popped into mind. So I simply went with them to a pal and tested them. Aside from that I don't have a spare PC laying around, only, 1 extra PSU, 2 GPU's and several ram sticks.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Ok then to me it sure sounds like you have a bad RAM slot in the motherboard. I would RMA the motherboard. If the CPU was bad you would get a different series of beeps, with the ram inserted or not.

MisterFluffles

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016

Hmm okay, well That does make sense, even all 4 slots of them? So basically the Mobo partially died on me during use?
What could've caused it? An older faulty power supply? I was using an MC-tech 850 when it suddenly stopped working. The PSU still runs and works, but just to be sure I've been testing everything with the brand new CX750 I had laying around.

Anyhow, I'll update if the new Mobo does it's thing!

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Well there is more to it than that, theres the memory controller, and other parts in between that could have failed. Also some boards won't load up with Memory not in the first slot.

A faulty power supply could damage a motherboard, Luckily you do have a new one, the old one is no-name junk. the CX750 is not the best, (they tend to fail when working with good GPU's), but is way better than the previous one.

MisterFluffles

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016

Ok, yes that's true, But I was a bit short on cash back then but I've been lucky for it not crashing. It still seems to work good, so I'm still thinking it is the Mobo or Cpu.

Alright everyone, settle down. I've cleaned up all the off topic bickering and better not see any more of it or it's vacation time for all involved.

@Antennas44, you need to start reading and comprehending things before you post. None of your answers here pertained to the reported problem.

The only correct response to this post is "I have read and understand the warning"

Solution
I wonder if a VRM on the motherboard overloaded and popped...
There are no heatsinks on the VRMs, and you've got a 125W CPU. I do see such CPUs on the QVL, but you may need to be especially careful about cooling. Do you have good airflow through your case? What CPU cooler are you using?