[SOLVED] Bad Mobo ?

iccanui

Reputable
Feb 7, 2018
Hey all, i have a real mystery on my hands.

I have a tomahawk 450 max. I moved my 5700xt into what i now know is the PCIe 2.0 x4 slot and it made my PC run slow. I moved it back to the PCIe 3.0 x16 slot again but my PC is still unusably slow. Ranks lowest on computer tests when it was near the top before.

What did i do ? Can it be fixed ?

Methods tried to fix

• Clean install of windows
• Cleared CMOS
• Tried a different PSU
• Broke down PC, removed Mobo to inspect and to insure plugs are in tight
• Installed different video card ( gtx 970 )
• Updated Bios
• Defaulted bios
• Installed all needed software and drivers after clean wipe and reload

And still it runs like its 25-50% power or something. Was fine till i moved the GPU from the top PCIe 3.0 ( 16x ) to the lower 2.0 PCIe x4

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Hey all, i have a real mystery on my hands.

I have a tomahawk 450 max. I moved my 5700xt into what i now know is the PCIe 2.0 x4 slot and it made my PC run slow. I moved it back to the PCIe 3.0 x16 slot again but my PC is still unusably slow. Ranks lowest on computer tests when it was near the top before.

What did i do ? Can it be fixed ?

Methods tried to fix

• Clean install of windows
• Cleared CMOS
• Tried a different PSU
• Broke down PC, removed Mobo to inspect and to insure plugs are in tight
• Installed different video card ( gtx 970 )
• Updated Bios
• Defaulted bios
• Installed all needed software and drivers after clean wipe and reload

And still it runs like its 25-50% power or something. Was fine till i moved the GPU from the top PCIe 3.0 ( 16x ) to the lower 2.0 PCIe x4

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
try this step by step (read until end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall all gpu driver DDU (no safe mode needed, clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 12 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Driver in Control Panel (skip if there is none)

• Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings.

• boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot, go to power plan and choose amd ryzen balanced (if you're using ryzen 5000 series skip going to power plan) and connect to internet.

• Install the latest radeon driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did) and make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4 if you use 2 sticks. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update).
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

Reactions: iccanui

iccanui

Reputable
Feb 7, 2018
try this step by step (read until end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall all gpu driver DDU (no safe mode needed, clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 12 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Driver in Control Panel (skip if there is none)

• Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings.

• boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot, go to power plan and choose amd ryzen balanced (if you're using ryzen 5000 series skip going to power plan) and connect to internet.

• Install the latest radeon driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did) and make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4 if you use 2 sticks. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update).
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

Thanks for the feedback.

I just tried everything exactly as you said, still the same :(

Its so weird, the task manager and perfom show its not even being stressed. You cant tell by looking at the monitoring tools where a bottleneck might be.

Thanks for the feedback.

I just tried everything exactly as you said, still the same :(

Its so weird, the task manager and perfom show its not even being stressed. You cant tell by looking at the monitoring tools where a bottleneck might be.
well if you don't mind, perform a clean windows install, just make sure to Disable CSM (disable any legacy options on boot/bios), then save and exit and go to windows installer. (also make sure bios is on latest)

when you're about to install choose custom instead of upgrade, delete the windows partition, msr, system reserved, and the smallest size one, then click on unallocated space, then click next, after you've done the OOBE after installing, install amd chipset driver, go to power plan and choose amd ryzen balanced and reboot, then install radeon driver, then connect to internet.

So the procedure should be like this:

Disable CSM on bios (also make sure bios is on the latest) -> Clean install windows -> Install AMD Chipset Driver, reboot, and choose amd ryzen balanced on power plan -> install radeon driver -> check windows updates and install them all.

Just make sure to backup your important data on C: before clean install windows because this step include deleting the C: partition and its hidden partition. also make sure you're offline when about to boot to installer.

It's best to download windows 10 .iso only using google chrome or internet download manager (to avoid windows image corruption as some of my friends have it, advised to use chrome and no installation errors), and use rufus at GPT - UEFI non bios to make a bootable drive, and copy amd chipset driver and radeon driver to install after windows install).

Reactions: iccanui

iccanui

Reputable
Feb 7, 2018
well if you don't mind, perform a clean windows install, just make sure to Disable CSM (disable any legacy options on boot/bios), then save and exit and go to windows installer. (also make sure bios is on latest)

when you're about to install choose custom instead of upgrade, delete the windows partition, msr, system reserved, and the smallest size one, then click on unallocated space, then click next, after you've done the OOBE after installing, install amd chipset driver, go to power plan and choose amd ryzen balanced and reboot, then install radeon driver, then connect to internet.

So the procedure should be like this:

Disable CSM on bios (also make sure bios is on the latest) -> Clean install windows -> Install AMD Chipset Driver, reboot, and choose amd ryzen balanced on power plan -> install radeon driver -> check windows updates and install them all.

Just make sure to backup your important data on C: before clean install windows because this step include deleting the C: partition and its hidden partition. also make sure you're offline when about to boot to installer.

It's best to download windows 10 .iso only using google chrome or internet download manager (to avoid windows image corruption as some of my friends have it, advised to use chrome and no installation errors), and use rufus at GPT - UEFI non bios to make a bootable drive, and copy amd chipset driver and radeon driver to install after windows install).

Thanks for the help. Eventually i think i found the right threads on this. The key was realizing the CPU was locked to .54ghz. Apparently this is seemingly due to a bad temp sensor on the mobo. I finally found a few threads that all ended with replacing the mobo. So i ordered one and as soon as the thermal paste gets here im gonna swap it out and see. If not it has to be the CPU itself. Its 100% not a windows issue. Its slow in the bios too. I can log into windows, go into ryzen and disable temp monitoring and it instantly shoots back up to 3.6ghz. So im sure thats it. Thanks though friend. Hope this thread adds to the googleverse for the next guy.

Replace your mobo if your reading this. In fact i know its not the CPU because when i disable the temp monitoring in ryzen master, it not only clocks back up, but it does in fact have the full speed it used to have.