Reputable
Jul 18, 2015
My Parts list:

i5 4690k

ASROCK z97 Extreme 3

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 2x4

Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 (non le)

EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 120-G2-1000-XR 80+ GOLD 1000W

**Describe your problem. List any error messages and symptoms. Be descriptive.**

Recently Purchased the vega 64 for my build. And everything was going great and running smoothly. Undervolted nicely, handled everything I had thrown at it. But yesterday I was going to overclock my CPU, and after going with a modest overclock (4.2ghz @ 1.2 volts) my pc booted up, but then froze and went to a black screen. I shut down the pc manually via the power button, but when I went to turn it on again, it would only show that there was no signal detected on my monitor.

After doing some quick research I thought it might be a problem with a bios setting or with the overclock, so I unplugged everything, opened up my case and reset the CMOS by removing the battery for an hour. After plugging it in though hover, it still have me the same message, nothing but a black screen. After playing around I've figured out that:

* It WILL turn on and boot if I plug in an HDMI into the motherboard and use the onboard graphics.
* The GPU LEDs and fans still come on and spin and normal speed.
* The GPU Does not even show up in device manager at all when plugged in and connected, but am using onboard to see.
* Re-seating the GPU into a different PCIe slot did not work.
* Plugging in an old GPU (280x) boots normally.
* Re-seating the RAM did not help
* Using HDMI instead of DisplayPort did not help

I am completely lost at this point. I don't think my GPU is dead because it was performing perfectly, slightly above average even, for about a week now. Is it possible my Motherboard is having problems and is on its way out? It is an older board and VEGA is new so maybe a compatibility issue that is starting to show? Or others have said maybe the PSU is not supplying enough power and is failing since vega is rated for a base 750w, and the 280x is much less (about 500w). OR is god forbid, my GPU dying/dead somehow? How would this happen from overclocking my CPU? This is whats making me think it is my MB, CPU, or PSU causing the problems rather than my GPU.

Any and all help is appreciated.

TL;DR: After doing a modest overclock on my i5 4690k, my vega 64 has stopped displaying on monitor, even after cmos reset and other troubleshooting steps. I believe it may be my motherboard, cpu, or PSU.

Solution
Disappointing to hear the driver side didn't work. Usually if a device is in Device Manager's hidden devices I would take it as the PC knowing something is there but doesn't know what it is; usually installing the drivers resolves that (with perhaps a bit of trickery).

Odd it can see something but isn't working. So as a final (grasping at straws) software issue, can you check whether BIOS has somehow defaulted to integrated graphics rather than PCIe?

And from the posts afterwards it doesn't sound encouraging. Sounding more like a hardware issue. (May have to look at an RMA if we can't figure out a solution.)

Just re-read your original post and trying to see if there's anything in particular we've missed.

1. CPU and GPU are running...
From your description I'd be thinking it's a graphics card problem (software or hardware). Is it possible to test the Vega 64 on another PC? This would help establish whether it is still working.

You mentioned booting into Windows using the integrated graphics while the Vega 64 was installed. Did you check in Device Manager whether a piece of hardware is found under display adapters? Or under hidden devices? If there's no recognition of hardware I'd be fearing the worst. If there's some recognition then perhaps clean installation of drivers would help.

tinyJman

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015

I did check and no, the Vega 64 doesn't show up in the regular menu, but it DOES show up under the hidden devices. Unfortunately the only pc I have that I could test it in, doesn't have a 750w PSU, like the Vega 64 needs. Would it still work just to see if it will post?

Bit more encouraging the Vega 64 shows up under hidden devices (and suggests to me a software issue). With that in mind, you could try installing the drivers through device manager to see if it will work properly again. Worth a try at least.

As for further testing... more work, but you could swap the PSU in to the other PC with the Vega 64 to check.

tinyJman

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015

Tried plugging in my old GPU, running DDU in safemode, and then re installing my new GPU, still no luck unfortunately. I brought my gpu to my brothers and tried running it on his pc, still no signal. Does this mean I have a bad GPU? Also I just plugged in my MB speaker and am getting no beeps when I turn it on

This doesn't sound good. Just to be sure, your brother's computer, is it modern and have a large enough PSU for the GPU? If so, then it sounds like a dead card. The other interesting thing is you said the MoBo speaker doesn't beep at all on boot, I assume it works and is plugged in correctly? All motherboards I've seen beep on posting, something strange is happening.

tinyJman

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015

Yes it is modern, he has a gaming PC, with a 750w PSU. Which is the recommended as far as I know. Yeah I plugged in the speaker into the [speaker] pin connector on my mobo so I assume everything is fine with that. Very weird

Disappointing to hear the driver side didn't work. Usually if a device is in Device Manager's hidden devices I would take it as the PC knowing something is there but doesn't know what it is; usually installing the drivers resolves that (with perhaps a bit of trickery).

Odd it can see something but isn't working. So as a final (grasping at straws) software issue, can you check whether BIOS has somehow defaulted to integrated graphics rather than PCIe?

And from the posts afterwards it doesn't sound encouraging. Sounding more like a hardware issue. (May have to look at an RMA if we can't figure out a solution.)

Just re-read your original post and trying to see if there's anything in particular we've missed.

1. CPU and GPU are running at stock clocks now?

2. Have you tried updating the BIOS for the motherboard? (You never know.)

3. Could you check the voltages running to the motherboard using HWiNFO? (Trying to see if the PSU appears to be working correctly.)

Solution