Sep 9, 2020
I'm genuinely at the end of my rope. I cannot figure this out for the life of me. My PC has been shutting down unexpectedly and it does it in the weirdest ways. I'm doing this from my phone so forgive me. I've chased event ID after event ID and nothing really adds up. And now it'll shut down on its own and cycle maybe 7 or 8 times and it will be unable to make it to post. Then if I hold the power button to make it shut down, I can power it back up and it'll be fine for a while. It doesn't correlate to being under a full load, in fact it seems to do it when its not doing much at all. I have video I'll try to provide later. I just rebuilt this system and it was good for about month before this started.

Ryzen 7 3800x w/stock prism cooler
Evga rtx 2080 super
Ausus ROG strix x570
Corsair 3200hz 16gb ram
Evga 650 80plus gold
Samsung 250ssd
WesternDigital 1 tb hdd

I've replaced the power supply and it had no effect. I've Uninstalled armory for ROG, I've ran mem tests and they come back fine. I've done system file checks and they come back fine. I just can't figure this out. Maybe a bad mobo? The only consistent event ID's are 10016 and 2, ETW USB tracing failed to start. Thanks in advance.

Solution
... The only consistent event ID's are 10016 and 2, ETW USB tracing failed to start. Thanks in advance.
Event ID 10016 is extremely common and not an indicator for system stability. Same with ID 2.

Before going any further from an elevated command prompt do 'sft /scannow' to tell Windows to scan system file errors and attempt to repair them. Then from This PC icon right click on system drive, properties tab, error checking button. Let it check the system drive for errors. If it finds some it will offer to restart to do a repair. Let it.

Have you tried troubleshooting memory? Are the DIMM's fully inserted and in the right slots? Remove any XMP profile setting to run in default DDR4 settings, which will probably be 2133 or...
I'm genuinely at the end of my rope. I cannot figure this out for the life of me. My PC has been shutting down unexpectedly and it does it in the weirdest ways. I'm doing this from my phone so forgive me. I've chased event ID after event ID and nothing really adds up. And now it'll shut down on its own and cycle maybe 7 or 8 times and it will be unable to make it to post. Then if I hold the power button to make it shut down, I can power it back up and it'll be fine for a while. It doesn't correlate to being under a full load, in fact it seems to do it when its not doing much at all. I have video I'll try to provide later. I just rebuilt this system and it was good for about month before this started.

Ryzen 7 3800x w/stock prism cooler
Evga rtx 2080 super
Ausus ROG strix x570
Corsair 3200hz 16gb ram
Evga 650 80plus gold
Samsung 250ssd
WesternDigital 1 tb hdd

I've replaced the power supply and it had no effect. I've Uninstalled armory for ROG, I've ran mem tests and they come back fine. I've done system file checks and they come back fine. I just can't figure this out. Maybe a bad mobo? The only consistent event ID's are 10016 and 2, ETW USB tracing failed to start. Thanks in advance.
You may want to reset CMOS to factory defaults first.

Reactions: DeadScot9323
... The only consistent event ID's are 10016 and 2, ETW USB tracing failed to start. Thanks in advance.
Event ID 10016 is extremely common and not an indicator for system stability. Same with ID 2.

Before going any further from an elevated command prompt do 'sft /scannow' to tell Windows to scan system file errors and attempt to repair them. Then from This PC icon right click on system drive, properties tab, error checking button. Let it check the system drive for errors. If it finds some it will offer to restart to do a repair. Let it.

Have you tried troubleshooting memory? Are the DIMM's fully inserted and in the right slots? Remove any XMP profile setting to run in default DDR4 settings, which will probably be 2133 or 2400 max. Also, remove one DIMM and run on one only for a while; change to the other DIMM to isolate if one is defective.

Double check all motherboard connections to be secure and tight.

Reactions: DeadScot9323
Solution
Sep 9, 2020

Have you tried troubleshooting memory? Are the DIMM's fully inserted and in the right slots? Remove any XMP profile setting to run in default DDR4 settings, which will probably be 2133 or 2400 max. Also, remove one DIMM and run on one only for a while; change to the other DIMM to isolate if one is defective.

Double check all motherboard connections to be secure and tight.

I will keep this in mind but I took it to my local Micro center and they pointed something out that I did not think of and kind of danced around. I think it may be a short in my front IO panel. It's the only thing that makes sense and why I can't find any correlation to anything else. So they pulled a power switch out of another computer for me to test it for the next couple weeks. If it doesn't have any issues, I'll post back in a couple weeks. If it doesn't fix the issue, I'll try your suggestions and go from there. I will say that I have already tried "sfc /scannow" and found no issues (until recently because all the reboots jacked some stuff up, might end up reinstalling windows again for stability purposes) and I have ran mem tests and the results came back clean. I didn't look into the XMP profile so if this doesn't fix it, that will be my next move. Thank you all for your help.

..."sfc /scannow" and found no issues (until recently because all the reboots jacked some stuff up, might end up reinstalling windows again for stability purposes) ....

That's also why you should do the drive error check routine. Windows recovers from inelegant shutdowns much better than previously, but haveing experience so many there could be orphaned sectors or other logical errors that need fixing.

And BTW... is your board BIOS up to date? very early BIOS' had some problems on x570 with NVME's and PCIe gen 4. Can't remember what exactly, but getting up to date might be a worthwhile thing to do if not.