kriostar

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
What are some signs of a bad motherboard. I have been plagued with various issues...the majority internet related (gaming, browsing, etc) Here's the problem I am currently having.

Re-installed windows. This took me 3 times on the actual "install" part as it got hung up in the last stages of finalizing install. Screen froze had to power down. Finally got it installed and up and running.

NOW... under device manger, window doesn't even see that there IS a network adaptor. How can I even install a driver (if I was to burn to CD) if windows doesn't even see that the device is there? Same thing happened with the USB; however at least windows sees those devices exist (just need the drivers). The devices are built in to the MB.

This was my first windows install (XP pro), so maybe I missed something?
My gut tells me I have a bad MB or HD (in my limited knowledge), but before I go out and buy, any help ya'll can give would be appreciated!

OEM AMD X2 3800CPU
4 X PC3200 PC400 DDR
500W Power supply
Maxtor 200GB SATA 1500 7200RPM 16MB
Motherboard is (Sckt939)EVGA nForce4 SLI chipset RAID dual PCI-E

If you're getting bluescreens, I would try setting the memory timing manually. I use 6-3-3 with cas 2.5. If your memory sticks are all the same brand, you should be able to run them at 200. Remember that windows xp won't have all your board drivers. You have to use the driver cd that came with your motherboard, or download them off the evga website.

kriostar

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
I'm actually not getting bluescreens. I did not get a copy of the CD because I bought the computer from cyberpowerpc.com and they didn't send me much software. Its going to be difficult to get online without the ethernet adaptor but I guess I can find the drivers online with my other computer and burn to CD. How can I install the driver though when windows doesn't see the device...theres still a lot I don't know. I thought windows still had to see that there was a device there at least.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
o1die is right, download the driver from the evga website, in fact download all the most recent drivers for the board. They usually come as an exe file that you can run. Also go into your BIOS on check the LAN settings under the section for onboard devices. You could also reset the BIOS to default/safe or what ever evga calls it.