Question Bad performance from my 4090

Jun 2, 2024
So I recently got a PC that had all the high end parts. 4090, 7800x3d CPU, Arorus B650 motherboard, gskill neo z 6000mhz ram, Thermal tough power gf3 1200 PSU, and a SN850X SSD. First time PC gamer switching from console so I wanted an easy transition.

Sometimes games play smooth. Often tho they are constantly stuttering and choppy. My Nvidia overlay shows 6% usage(recently checked task manager and it was 93% tho?). My FPS hover around 80-115 depending on the settings but my 99% FPS lows are consistently 10-16 outside of a few times where the game(cyberpunk) wasn't choppy.

I've followed suggestions to adjust power management settings, made sure my HDMI was plugged into the GPU, turned on EXPO with my ram, tweaked other settings and un-installed/reinstalled the drivers.

No idea what to do at this point. I don't know much but I feel like cyber punk shouldn't be choppy with my system. Especially when I turn stuff like ray tracing/path tracing off.

So I recently got a PC that had all the high end parts. 4090, 7800x3d CPU, Arorus B650 motherboard, gskill neo z 6000mhz ram, Thermal tough power gf3 1200 PSU, and a SN850X SSD. First time PC gamer switching from console so I wanted an easy transition.

Sometimes games play smooth. Often tho they are constantly stuttering and choppy. My Nvidia overlay shows 6% usage(recently checked task manager and it was 93% tho?). My FPS hover around 80-115 depending on the settings but my 99% FPS lows are consistently 10-16 outside of a few times where the game(cyberpunk) wasn't choppy.

I've followed suggestions to adjust power management settings, made sure my HDMI was plugged into the GPU, turned on EXPO with my ram, tweaked other settings and un-installed/reinstalled the drivers.

No idea what to do at this point. I don't know much but I feel like cyber punk shouldn't be choppy with my system. Especially when I turn stuff like ray tracing/path tracing off.

what resolution are you playing cyberpunk is a buggy mess of a game also depends if your using raytracing or not that game will stutter to hell

kira-faye

Upstanding
Oct 11, 2023
Short answer is, if you just go turn all the settings to max (especially at 4K) absolutely nothing currently available will run 2077 smoothly. Bad example.

Jun 2, 2024
what resolution are you playing cyberpunk is a buggy mess of a game also depends if your using raytracing or not that game will stutter to hell

I'm playing at 4k. Have raytracing on.

I actually got it going and was playing pretty decent. In Nvidia Geforce experience I autoscan and tune and than apply the settings and it seems to play better? If I shutdown my PC/in a few days I have to scan again or it doesn't work. Atleast I think that's what gets it going as it worked directly after the scan finished. Scan takes awhile so annoying having to do that.

My Nvidia overlay seems to be inaccurate because while playing Cyberpunk in 4k it still says the GPU is only at 6% utilization. Temp stays at 34 as well.

Just really confusing. Works sometimes and other times is very choppy.

Jun 2, 2024
Short answer is, if you just go turn all the settings to max (especially at 4K) absolutely nothing currently available will run 2077 smoothly. Bad example.

I've never really played many PC games. First PC build so I probably don't have the same standards as others but it was great tonight. Around 100-110 FPS with 70-90 FPS 99% lows. Earlier today when I made this thread the lows were 10-16 and it was basically unplayable.

I have no idea what I'm doing so no idea if autoscanning after moving the sliders and applying actually impacts it. If maybe I wasn't even getting those FPS because my overlay is clearly somewhat inaccurate lol but it wasn't jittery and felt better than playing on a PS5.

I'm playing at 4k. Have raytracing on.

I actually got it going and was playing pretty decent. In Nvidia Geforce experience I autoscan and tune and than apply the settings and it seems to play better? If I shutdown my PC/in a few days I have to scan again or it doesn't work. Atleast I think that's what gets it going as it worked directly after the scan finished. Scan takes awhile so annoying having to do that.

My Nvidia overlay seems to be inaccurate because while playing Cyberpunk in 4k it still says the GPU is only at 6% utilization. Temp stays at 34 as well.

Just really confusing. Works sometimes and other times is very choppy.

double check that your windows isnt in balanced mode but performance mode.

type in windows search box

settings

then go to

system then power make sure its in performance mode.

did you update the pcs nvidia drivers ?

I feel like cyber punk shouldn't be choppy with my system
i've played the latest version of Cyberpunk 2077 + Phantom Liberty @ 3440x1440 with mostly Ultra settings(RT and everything maxed except Blur effects and DOF set to off) along with DLSS and seemed to easily reach a constant 120fps throughout.

you can see that by comparison your system should be a bit more powerful than mine.
if you are having issues keeping a constant high frame rate then there is some other issue happening with your configuration.
type in windows search box..settings..then go to...system then power
Windows' power settings are easily reached through Control Panel > Power Options,
no need for searching.

though you already mention setting these to appropriate variables so should not be an issue.
Nvidia overlay shows 6% usage(recently checked task manager and it was 93% tho?)
GeForce Experience has been known to alter user preferred options with bs that causes issues while gaming or other intensive graphical usage.
the best option has usually been to install their latest driver package without GeForce Experience.

there are other better alternatives for overlay options like Afterburner+Rivatuner that do not force their profiles upon the end user.
made sure my HDMI was plugged into the GPU
is this some generic cable or one that was provided with your display
or purchased separately with a certain revision mentioned?

one other thing to check is that there are not unnecessary processes running in the background while playing that may be eating up system resources.

i also don't see any mention of temperatures while running games.
if your system is overheating then hardware may throttle to keep within safe operating ranges.
include your overall system-wide cooling and what temperatures you see while idle and while running heavily intensive games.

Jun 2, 2024
i also don't see any mention of temperatures while running games.
if your system is overheating then hardware may throttle to keep within safe operating ranges.
include your overall system-wide cooling and what temperatures you see while idle and while running heavily intensive games.

My 7800x3d CPU hits 70-75 in the pause menu and around 56-68 while gaming unpaused in Cyberpunk. It's cooled with deepcool AK620 dual tower + case fans. Not sure about the GPU as Nvidia geforce just says 34 and never changes.

Thr tuning thing I did tonight seemed to make a difference? Or was that just luck? Really don't wanna run that everytime I wanna game. I press ALT Z, click performance, slide the dials to the max(100%, 133%, 87c) than switch the enable automatic tuning and it's takes awhile and you get a last scan result. Mine currently says +165Mhz. Problem is when I shut off my PC or with time that scan dissappears and I have to run it again. Felt like after I ran it tonight it was much less choppy.

My display ID an LGC3 and I git a 2.1 HDMI that's a high speed cable meant for 4k/120 atleast that's what it says on the box/guy at the store told me.

Jun 2, 2024
double check that your windows isnt in balanced mode but performance mode.

type in windows search box

settings

then go to

system then power make sure its in performance mode.

did you update the pcs nvidia drivers ?

Drivers are updated. I did the clean uninstall and reinstalled. The overlay numbers were better for abit but quickly went back to being useless.

I will say this post made me realize my power settings weren't saving. I did it your way and it was balanced. I set to high performance. I than did it the other way by edit power options and switched it from balanced to High Performance. Now when I look in the system - Power there's no options for me to choose as it says Power Mode can't be set while the high performance power plan is used.

So my power settings are good now? Will that make a big difference?

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024
Check your BIOS settings and make sure your GPU's x16 slot is set to the correct PCI speed. Some BIOS can do multiple PCIe speeds, and can be changed between 3.0 / 4.0 / 5.0. Many ship with this set to the lowest default. Also, the auto setting may not properly detect.

Also, while most say x8 doesn't make much difference from x16, it still can be a consideration. Some boards will cut the primary x16 slot to x8 if another x16 / x8 slot is occupied. Also, if you have two x16 slots, the GPU should be in the one closest to the CPU.

While I know AM5 is not AM4, something I discovered myself in my 5900X build -- AM4 Ryzen and supporting boards are REALLY fussy about RAM, and if it's not on the board's QVL list for that processor, it's either untested (questionable) or likely to be unstable, and could still be a consideration, as it could just simply be an AMD thing.

When it comes to RAM, it doesn't take much to create stability problems that can affect performance, especially at overclock speeds like 6000. Timings can be an issue as well if they're not correct. I understand that EXPO has been a bit of an issue for some users as well -- No offense to those with AM5s, but this is one of several issues I've seen and read a lot about that make me really glad I built a 5900X instead of an AM5. I've seen and read similar regarding the 4090, that perhaps it's not all it's cracked up to be, or at least not that much of a performance increase over the previous generation.

But perhaps this just comes down to poor tuning and bare minimum defaults. What are your thermals like (CPU and GPU)? Good thermals are a bit tricky with AM5 due to common air gaps between the IHS and cooler base plate, and thermals can be a huge factor in performance as excessive thermals can cause CPU throttling that can affect GPU performance. If thermals are an issue, you might try undervolting or tweaking fan curves to keep it from throttling.

Also, using Ryzen Master has my 5900X boosting to 5.0-5.025 at times. Runs 4.8-4.975 pretty consistently. While I'm not sure if Ryzen Master works on AM5 (or if there's perhaps an AM5-specific version), you might check as to whether the CPU is running at peak performance, because that can affect GPU performance too.

As for the overlay, I have noticed occasional inaccuracies in Afterburner as well, especially when compared to Nvidia's overlay. Something a lot of people aren't aware of is that GPUs can sometimes drop clock speed under reduced load to save power, which can impact performance if the firmware guesses wrong.

FPS is not a huge issue for me as my 60 hz 75-inch TV limits me to 58-60 fps, but I noticed some stutters and 30 fps sags at times. I eventually discovered my Asus KO RTX3060ti-8GB-OC was dropping to 900 Mhz clock speed while gaming, which was causing the hiccups. I found a solution in EVGA's Precision X1 software.

Precision X1 allows you to store multiple profiles for optimum GPU performance. And yes, it can control power and clock speed independently of Afterburner or GeForce Experience (independent clock speed / voltage control must be enabled) and even has boost lock to 'force' a higher base clock speed if desired.

Asus lists my GPU's boost speed at 1785. I set a 1655 base clock speed in Precision X1, and it's boosted to as much as 1835-1905 under load (PCIe4.0 x16 with the Performance/Quiet switch set to Performance), with decent thermals, staying around 65C-68C under full load. Absolutely stellar performance. Haven't had a problem since.

Last edited:
Drivers are updated. I did the clean uninstall and reinstalled. The overlay numbers were better for abit but quickly went back to being useless.

I will say this post made me realize my power settings weren't saving. I did it your way and it was balanced. I set to high performance. I than did it the other way by edit power options and switched it from balanced to High Performance. Now when I look in the system - Power there's no options for me to choose as it says Power Mode can't be set while the high performance power plan is used.

So my power settings are good now? Will that make a big difference?
It's taken it of balanced so that should rule that out.

TRENDING THREADS