Question Bad Performance on GTX 980

PC_Gamer002

Commendable
Feb 9, 2017
Hey guys,

So i have a GTX 980 that is performing terribly on basically all my games.

For reference, my setup is this:
  • i7 6700k
  • GTX 980
  • 16gb 3200Mhz Ram
  • Asus Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard

In Destiny 2, im getting 40 fps on Medium, in Monster Hunter World Im lucky to be getting 25 fps on low, and on any other reasonably AAA game, im lucky to be getting 30 fps... I know as a fact the GTX 980 should be performing better than this..

Can anyone help please

Thanks

PC_Gamer002

Commendable
Feb 9, 2017
I honestly don't think this is a very trustworthy PSU brand. This might also be the culprit in your case. Can you check the card by using some other power supply unit ? On what screen RES are you gaming ?

I cant check it using another psu, and i doubt that would be the case tho??

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHep2Vvskdg

Timmy Joe even said this was a decent PSU... I was using it on my old RX 570, and it was just fine

Im currently on 430.86. How far back to think i should go?

Also, how do you go back?
That is the most current driver. When do you remember performance starting to have issues? For example, say it was March 2019 that you noticed it, I would go back to a January driver, so 2 months before you noticed the performance issues. You would uninstall the drivers and then install an older set. You can find those on nvidia's website. Just on the search it currently goes back to January 15, 2019.

I honestly don't think this is a very trustworthy or a very popular PSU brand. This might also be the culprit in your case, though I'm not sure. Can you check the card by using some other power supply unit ? On what screen RES are you gaming ?
If this is a P1, looking at the back of it with the "silent mode" switch, the 80+ gold rating, and 10 year warranty, makes me think it could be a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold for the internals. If my assumption is correct, then the PSU is of excellent quality.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

PC_Gamer002

Commendable
Feb 9, 2017
If this is a P1, looking at the back of it with the "silent mode" switch, the 80+ gold rating, and 10 year warranty, makes me think it could be a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold for the internals. If my assumption is correct, then the PSU is of excellent quality.

So it has nothing to do with the PSU.. thats good to know hahah

PC_Gamer002

Commendable
Feb 9, 2017
I didn't say it doesn't. I am making an assumption on 3 criteria from the PSU that it is a Focus Plus Gold internals. I could easily be wrong and it is some lesser quality internals.

but even still, how would a psu affect fps in game? 650W is sufficient enough, the only thing that lesser quality parts would do is make it less reliable...