Question Bad performance on my "High End" PC ?

nytrezik

Prominent
Jun 16, 2021
Hi
I have bought Ryzen 5 3600 + Nvidia GTX 2080 Super last year (MSI B450 GAMING PLUS, 16GB RAM, can be seen on the user benchmark below)
Haven't been playing a lot since then so I didnt notice anything bad.

Lately I started playing more and I noticed i get around only 60-200 fps every game, can't get higher or lower)
CS:GO (80-250 fps when setting lowest or highest settings doesnt matter (maybe vary by few fps))
LoL (100-180 fps) Minecraft (100-200 fps (8GB Ram and 12 chunks render))

I'm able to play almost every of the new titles with >60 fps (Sea of thieves, COD Warzone, It takes Two etc)
But it suprised me beacause on my old PC with some old i5 cpu and R9 390 gpu i could easily get stable >350 fps in csgo and minecraft (e.g in csgo map the ancient i get 80-120 fps while my firend with the same cpu as mine and older gpu (gtx 1070) gets stable >300 on this map)

So i ran 3dmark: https://www.3dmark.com/spy/20889865 (almost the same like the result i got when i first turned on the pc https://www.3dmark.com/spy/12525238)
and userbenchmark https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/43920863
so i turned xmp and turbo in bios, and got the result
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/43944111

Then I updated the bios, turned a lot of options to performance over quality in nvidia control panel and windows and downgraded the gpu driver (can be seen on userbenchmark) because someone told me that after 2020 september nvidia's drivers are better for 30 series and work worse on older gpu's)
But for the performance in every game nothing changed like it was on the beginning
Also the temps for all those games are around 40-50C (almost the same for cpu and gpu), and the cpu usage is (~10% for csgo and lol also ~20% for minecraft)

I own a 144hz monitor so it is visible when the fps drops to <100 and i suppose that I should get a lot more fps in those "competetive games" like csgo and lol
Is there any fix to this problem? I have been trying to fix this entire day.

Last edited:

nytrezik

Prominent
Jun 16, 2021
did you do a fresh os install when you build this ryzen system?
yes, entire pc was build from scrap and the os was fresh installed

also i have just noticed that while playing CS:GO my cpu usage is 8-10% but my gpu usage is 95% and that might be the case, dont suppose GTX 2080 Super should have that load on game like csgo

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021
This is 3DMark scores of people with the same hardware as you: Search (3dmark.com)
The average is 11194, and you're just slightly under it. The people with the same setup might have some overclocking as well, so maybe that's what you lack.

Just enable PBO overclocking and you should be good to go

nytrezik

Prominent
Jun 16, 2021
This is 3DMark scores of people with the same hardware as you: Search (3dmark.com)
The average is 11194, and you're just slightly under it. The people with the same setup might have some overclocking as well, so maybe that's what you lack.

Just enable PBO overclocking and you should be good to go
with the same gpu not entire hardware
Also i did enable PBO and It didn't change anything, but as i mentioned earlier when i launch csgo the cpu usage is 8-10% but gpu is almost 100%

Hi
I have bought Ryzen 5 3600 + Nvidia GTX 2080 Super last year (MSI B450 GAMING PLUS, 16GB RAM, can be seen on the user benchmark below)
Haven't been playing a lot since then so I didnt notice anything bad.

Lately I started playing more and I noticed i get around only 60-200 fps every game, can't get higher or lower)
CS:GO (80-250 fps when setting lowest or highest settings doesnt matter (maybe vary by few fps))
LoL (100-180 fps) Minecraft (100-200 fps (8GB Ram and 12 chunks render))

I'm able to play almost every of the new titles with >60 fps (Sea of thieves, COD Warzone, It takes Two etc)
But it suprised me beacause on my old PC with some old i5 cpu and R9 390 gpu i could easily get stable >350 fps in csgo and minecraft (e.g in csgo map the ancient i get 80-120 fps while my firend with the same cpu as mine and older gpu (gtx 1070) gets stable >300 on this map)

So i ran 3dmark: https://www.3dmark.com/spy/20889865 (almost the same like the result i got when i first turned on the pc https://www.3dmark.com/spy/12525238)
and userbenchmark https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/43920863
so i turned xmp and turbo in bios, and got the result
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/43944111

Then I updated the bios, turned a lot of options to performance over quality in nvidia control panel and windows and downgraded the gpu driver (can be seen on userbenchmark) because someone told me that after 2020 september nvidia's drivers are better for 30 series and work worse on older gpu's)
But for the performance in every game nothing changed like it was on the beginning
Also the temps for all those games are around 40-50% (almost the same for cpu and gpu), and the cpu usage is (~10% for csgo and lol also ~20% for minecraft)

I own a 144hz monitor so it is visible when the fps drops to <100 and i suppose that I should get a lot more fps in those "competetive games" like csgo and lol
Is there any fix to this problem? I have been trying to fix this entire day.
When you updated the bios did you also update the chipset driver?

nytrezik

Prominent
Jun 16, 2021
what the gpu temp?
stable around 45-55 while browsing google chrome and other apps and around 60 when gaming
csgo example
cnnQ0iB.png

everything set to lowest (80-150 fps de ancient)
(those usage drops are cause by minimalising the game)

Last edited:

nytrezik

Prominent
Jun 16, 2021
Additionaly when I play COD Warzne on every setting set to ultra I have stable 100-110 fps but when i set everything to lowest i get only 120-130 fps

Do you have pics of benches to show this? This could be the CPU or game settings (both in and out of game).
If possible, get your friend to show you the 300FPS and then run a userbenchmark and Time Spy on their system and post the results. I'm going to bet it's settings.

nytrezik

Prominent
Jun 16, 2021
The CPU determines the maximum possible frame rate. You may be hitting that limit.

where does it determine that? also it's propably not the point here beacause on dd2 in csgo i can get 150-250 fps while getting on ancient 80-120 (no matter the settings)

Do you have pics of benches to show this? This could be the CPU or game settings (both in and out of game).
If possible, get your friend to show you the 300FPS and then run a userbenchmark and Time Spy on their system and post the results. I'm going to bet it's settings.

Tried that, took csgo and apex cfg from this friend (my bad i sad that he has 1070 but actually he 1660 Super and the same cpu) and in csgo i got even lower fps (ancient he has 200-300 fps i got 60-100) in apex i got justt about 20 fps lower than he (80 (while flying above map) and 100 - 150 on the groun, which is playable but still suppose it should be better, especially on 144hz monitor) he has medium settings in csgo
his benchmark
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/43965853

I still don't know why does it look like this beacause benchmarks for me look very fine but can't get a decent amount of fps sin a game while he with this kind of benchmark gets a lot more

My guess whould be that he has GPU driver settings and/or in-game settings that are more towards performance than quality.
Your friend should turn on XMP/AMP in BIOS too.

Also, remove all overclocks, timings adjustments, EXCEPT XMP/AMP and rerun your tests. Did you run a full system virus scan?

nytrezik

Prominent
Jun 16, 2021
My guess whould be that he has GPU driver settings and/or in-game settings that are more towards performance than quality.
Your friend should turn on XMP/AMP in BIOS too.

Also, remove all overclocks, timings adjustments, EXCEPT XMP/AMP and rerun your tests. Did you run a full system virus scan?
I have reinstalled the system (while whiping all the data from all drives), tried few gpu drives, also set every setting in game and nvidia control panel to prefer performance over quality and it also didnt change anything
(he has 456.71 for 1660 super driver)

Pay no attention to the 'older driver works better' line of thinking. I'm using the latest NVIDIA drivers and still get the best performance from my Titan Xp.
Not sure what else to try. His performance is worse than yours in Userbenchmark. What monitor resolution are he and you playing at?

nytrezik

Prominent
Jun 16, 2021
Playing on Monitor AOC 27" 27G2U and secondary some 60 hz AOC.
Just checked csgo fps benchmark map and i got avg fps 300 while my friends who have 2 times more fps on maps got 200 xd

nytrezik

Prominent
Jun 16, 2021
tested some new maps and on mirage, overpass, vertigo and such old maps i have 400-500 fps but on ancienc 80, dust 2 and mocca 120-200 those are big diffrences between those maps

TRENDING THREADS